Train from Strasbourg, and Murren holiday pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2016 at 23:54:46 #808570

Hi!

We will be travelling to Lauterbrunnen from Strasbourg in early June, I have a few questions that I would be most grateful for some help with!

1) I am looking to buy train tickets online from Strasbourg to interlaken Ost, and then get a local train ticket on to Lauterbrunnen. The transfer time at Basel ranges from 22 mins to 55 mins- if we miss our train from Basel, are we able to catch the next train without penalty? (we are travelling with two small children, hence things usually take a bit longer!)

2) we are staying for 5 nights and will mostly be doing walks and activities on the Murren side of the valley (hopefully including a trip up to schilthorn). I have read about the “Murren-schilthorn Ferienpass’ and by my calculations this appears to be the best transport pass for our itinerary. Where will we be able to buy this pass from, is it available at interlaken Ost or only at Lauterbrunnen?

Thank you for your help!!

Nikki

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 March 2016 at 6:22:11 #849192

Welcome to MySwissAlps Nikki!

Where are you going after Lauterbrunnen? Back to Basel, Strasbourg, elsewhere? I think the Ferienpass you mentioned is no longer available. Can you provide a link with the information you found about it?

Kind regards,

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2016 at 10:25:52 #849193

Hi Arno,

thanks fo your reply! After lauterbrunnen we go on to Italy.

the link with prices for the ferienpass is at

schilthorn.ch/cmsfiles /tarif-flyer_2016.pdf

kind regards

nikki

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 March 2016 at 11:29:21 #849194

Hi Nikki,

Thanks for the link. The brochure is from the Schilthorn cable car and indeed it says one can ride it for free with the Ferienienpass (Holiday Pass). Although the brochure is recent, I can’t find anything about the pass itself, like what it includes and where to buy it. It might be a really local pass, literally just for Mürren. There is a risk in buying such a pass: if the weather is not good there during your stay you won’t have options to travel a bit further. The weather can change quickly and very locally in the mountains.

Current passes for the region are the Jungfrau Travel Pass and Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland.

As you’re from Australia you can take a look at raileurope.com.au/ train/tgv-lyria-7275 for the tickets from Strasbourg to Lauterbrunnen and on to Italy. More purchase options are listed here and here. Be sure to carefully check the area of validity of the local pass you choose. It might be valid on your arrival day too, for example, so you only need a ticket to Bern or so instead of all the way to Lauterbrunnen. Likewise on the departure day.

• The thread ‘Train from Strasbourg, and Murren holiday pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.