Train from Zurich to Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2013 at 14:31:17 #805733

In July 2013, my husband and I are flying from US to Zurich. Will be arriving on a Thurs. and picking up our tour in Zurich on Sun. pm. We thought we might like to go to Murren area, since our tour will not cover that area. Would like to go from Zurich airport direct to Murren by rail. What do you suggest?? Will be arriving early am on Thurs. Would like to stay two nights in Murren area then head back to Zurich Sat. pm to hotel where we pick up tour. Should we do the Swiss pass?? If so, what will that cover?? Rail to Murren??? Will it help for other trannsportion in Murren Area. Want to do tram to top and perhaps cog railway. Also, where do I find time table and itinerary for Murren trip, in English. (times and stops along the way.) I am very nervous about having to switch trains, regarding time. Are you for warned when the next stop is coming up. Love it that trains run so punctual.

Also, any hotel suggestions near train station in Murren. Or does it really matter. I assume that there are shuttles that could take you to any hotel. However, we would like a hotel so we can easily go to other areas. We are in our 60’s so no major hiking. Moderate trails are OK. We want to make the best of the short time that we will be there, however, don’t want to be rushing all day long. Just would like to see the highlights and enjoy our experience the short time we are there. Thanks for the info

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 January 2013 at 8:48:08 #837864

Hello lormarscribs,

Mürren is a good choice, it’s really beautiful. The timetable allows you to find all trains from Zurich airport to Mürren (and all other public transport as well). The train station is called “Mürren BLM”, so you can fill that out as your destination. There’s no need to be nervous about switching trains. It’s really easy if you have used the timetable to prepare the trip and know about which trains you need to board. The next stop is always announced, even in English in the InterCity trains.

The best rail pass depends on your exact traveling plans, and if you prefer maximum convenience/flexibility. If you want to prevent buying tickets for each trip, and just board trains and even some cable cars for free, the Swiss Pass or Bernese Oberland Regional-Pass are good options. But there’s more. Just browse the pass pages for details. Maps that show what’s covered are included, and so are prices and purchase options.

Mürren is small. It takes about 20 minutes to walk from one end (the rail station) to the other (the cable car to the Schilthorn and down to the valley). The Eiger Swiss Quality Hotel is located opposite of the rail station. Hotel Edelweiss is real close as well, with great views of the Eiger and Jungfrau from most rooms (I think the superiour rooms always have a balcony offering that view). Many more hotels can be found here.

Hiking trails can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2013 at 9:05:02 #837865

[quote]Arno said: Hello lormarscribs,

Mürren is a good choice, it’s really beautiful. The timetable allows you to find all trains from Zurich airport to Mürren (and all other public transport as well). The train station is called “Mürren BLM”, so you can fill that out as your destination. There’s no need to be nervous about switching trains. It’s really easy if you have used the timetable to prepare the trip and know about which trains you need to board. The next stop is always announced, even in English in the InterCity trains.

The best rail pass depends on your exact traveling plans, and if you prefer maximum convenience/flexibility. If you want to prevent buying tickets for each trip, and just board trains and even some cable cars for free, the Swiss Pass or Bernese Oberland Regional-Pass are good options. But there’s more. Just browse the pass pages for details. Maps that show what’s covered are included, and so are prices and purchase options.

Mürren is small. It takes about 20 minutes to walk from one end (the rail station) to the other (the cable car to the Schilthorn and down to the valley). The Eiger Swiss Quality Hotel is located opposite of the rail station. Hotel Edelweiss is real close as well, with great views of the Eiger and Jungfrau from most rooms (I think the superiour rooms always have a balcony offering that view). Many more hotels can be found here.

Hiking trails can be found here.[/quote]

Thank you for this info. Is Wengen close to Murren?? Guess I need to find a map that has the liitle towns on them. That is another area someone suggested we see. We would be staying two nights in the area. Would you suggest staying in the same hotel rather than dealing with luggage. Thank You and have a nice day. Marie

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 January 2013 at 9:56:02 #837866

Hello Marie,

Wengen is on the other side of the valley. You can see it from Mürren. I would prefer one hotel for the two nights. You’d better spend the time sightseeing then transferring from hotel to hotel I would say. Wengen can be reached easily from Mürren. Travel down to the valley (Lauterbrunnen), and then up to Wengen. A good map is map.search.ch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2013 at 14:31:56 #837867

Thanks so much. This helps me alot

• The thread ‘Train from Zurich to Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.