Train Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch in December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 5:08:17 #812670

Hello

I know there have been many other similar questions, but I am still confused about the Swiss railpass system.

Our family of 4 adults is travelling to Switzerland in December.

We have hired a car as we have limited time and want to fit in as much as possible, without waiting for train connections. This is also part of a much longer trip to several continents, so we have a lot of luggage that we don’t want to be carting around on trains.

We will be staying in Grindelwald for 2 nights, and want to take a train up to Jungfraujoch for one day while we are there.As we have a car, this will be our only train trip in Switzerland, so from what I have read,it doesn’t seem beneficial to buy a rail pass for just a single day trip?

I have looked at booking tickets just for the round trip from grindelwald-Klein scheidegg-Jungfraujoch-lauterbrunnen-grindelwald in mid-december,but on the website it won’t let me enter those dates.

Is there a reason for this-maybe I can’t book this far in advance? From what I have read, I believe the train to Jungfrau is open at this time of year, so Im not sure why it won’t let me book this route.

Any advice, or comment on a better/more economical way to do this trip would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 16:11:34 #867078

Hi KeriJ and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, I agree if this is your only trip on Swiss public transit (train, gondola, bus, boat etc) than a rail pass wouldn’t be beneficial.

You shouldn’t have any issues booking tickets to Jungfraujoch for December. If you are primarily going up to look around I would wait until you are in Switzerland to make sure the weather looks decent (not covered in clouds) before buying any tickets.

When you do decide to buy tickets you can do so here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 20:16:15 #867079

That’s great-thanks for the reply Lucas!

I followed the link, and it appears that I can’t book this trip in advance before September anyway, so I will have a look closer to our travel date.

We will definitely go up no matter what the weather is like as we only have the one opportunity to do so, and will enjoy the trip anyway.:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2017 at 6:19:17 #867080

Yes, the trip up is part of the experience – really cool. As long as you are prepared for possible limited views I’m sure you will make the best of it! Here’s hoping for sunny skies!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Train Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch in December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.