Train ride Chur-Arosa worth it without hiking?

• Dan_Gifford
    Participant
    17 posts
    15 April 2022 at 22:44:29 #826885

In the last week of May we’re hoping to take the train from Chur to Arosa, with the intention of doing the Arosa – Litzirüti – Langwies hike (including views of the viaduct). I know it will be snow-melt dependent and have bookmarked the Arosa tourist office in order to reach out for the latest conditions closer to time. Here’s my question: Even if we can’t do the hike, should we still take the train ride from Chur to Arosa? I’ve read it is quite beautiful. But is it worth it JUST for the ride and back? And any recommendations for what to do Arosa if the trails aren’t open? Or, for that matter, other villages along the route? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2022 at 0:41:30 #940620

The railway is absolutely worth it just for the ride.

Thanks to its ‘light railway’ heritage, even before you get ‘up into the hills’ right from the off it is fascinating as the full size train squeals through the main streets of Chur city centre.

It is a very scenic railway. At Arosa there are plenty of ways to walk around but I suspect the snow will have gone from the areas immediately below Arosa so your walk will probably be possible. If not, travel to Arosa to see the lovely lake (Perhaps also the Bear sanctuary if it is open) then return downhill to one of the stations lower down (you could look out from the train on the way up to see the snow (or green grass) situation.

Anna
    6382 posts
    16 April 2022 at 4:23:25 #940621

Hi Dan Gifford,

Yes, the train ride from Chur to Arosa is quite scenic. Arosa itself is a lovely destination as is its neighbour Lenzerheide. Lots of hiking trails to explore in this region although I assume many would still be closed in May. You might want to check out the website for more information.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Train ride Chur-Arosa worth it without hiking?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.