Train ride to Jungfrau if scared of heights

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    13 May 2016 at 12:25:36 #851795

Hi MacyClaire,

I also have a fear of heights and I did this train journey last year. I was very nervous about how it would be, but it’s absolutely fine – I really had nothing to be worried about. What Arno says is spot on – there are a few bits from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen where I had to look out/to the other side rather than down because it felt ever-so slightly ‘on the edge’ – but this is not on the edge of a big sheer cliff, it’s very tree-lined and foresty so there’s never any real sense that you could plunge over an edge. The other route from Grindelwald is fine with no problems, but the way from Lauterbrunnen is really beautiful and it would be a shame to miss it. I would recommend doing it as a loop – up one way, down the other. Also the bits where you feel ever so slightly near an edge last for only a matter of seconds. Also as Arno says you may not want to look out of the windows at Eigerwand. Seriously my fear of heights is very bad but there is nothing truly to worry about. Worrying about how it was going to be at each stage was much worse than it actually was so please take my word for it and relax and enjoy it. It feels very safe.

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    13 May 2016 at 12:29:19 #851796

Now if you don’t mind me hijacking this discussion slightly but on the same theme – Trummelbach falls – I plan to go, would a person with a fear of heights be advised to not actually go up to the top? On the photos the rails look pretty low….??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2016 at 13:15:20 #851797

Thank you, Joey. I’m so happy to hear it’s not a bad journey from a person with the same fear. You have put my mind at ease so ahead and hijack all you want!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2016 at 13:48:38 #851798

Joey,

Would you happen to know if the cablecar/gondola rides to Mannlichen, First or Eggishorn are okay or too scary? Also, if there are any you feel are too much to handle besides the one Arno mentioned, please let me know. Thank you.

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    13 May 2016 at 14:27:00 #851799

Afraid not, but we will be doing the one up to First this summer. I have to do these things so I don’t deprive my children of them so I’ll just be gritting my teeth and looking down at the floor if it’s too bad! From the pictures I think the gondalas look OK, the cable car up to Schilthorn looks pretty hairy but if my kids are keen to go I’ll have to bite the bullet. Ironically I did it as a child before I had any fear of heights and totally loved it. My thing is more safety – I have to assume that the gondalas/cable cars are pretty safe and just trust in the engineering. When it’s a case of being up a tall place where I can’t control if one of my children might just slip under a railing I will unfortunately have to avoid. I think if you’re doing these things as a means to getting somewhere fabulous then you have to trust in them and see it as a means to an end. If you’re thinking of doing it as an experience in itself and you’re going to be terrified the whole time it’s probably not worth it!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 May 2016 at 15:36:22 #851800

<<“if you’re doing these things as a means to getting somewhere fabulous then you have to trust in them and see it as a means to an end. If you’re thinking of doing it as an experience in itself and you’re going to be terrified the whole time it’s probably not worth it!”>>

Nicely put. And, the Swiss are really careful about their cableways.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2016 at 18:54:53 #851801

I agree with you, Joey. I am doing this for my kids and because I also do not want to miss out on these spectacular views. I am going to bite the bullet and do them no matter what because I feel my girls deserve the experience…… but if I can get some peace of mind now so I can enjoy the journey rather than being on the edge of my seat the whole time, we will all enjoy the trip more. As much as I love the girls and would do anything for and with them, I draw the line at paragliding..I will be the official photographer for that experience is all I can promise there 😉

You are very lucky to get to visit Switzerland so often!!

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    17 May 2016 at 10:23:54 #851802

MacyClaire I’ve just been googling the Schilthorn to see whether I think I could cope with the cable car ride, and I came across the ‘thrill walk’ which is due to open in July. Take a look! Now my worry is that if we go up to the top the kids will want to do the thrill walk and I’ll have to do it with them! They have seen the pictures and are very keen! Hopefully the opening will be delayed and it won’t be possible…

I do half fancy paragliding when I think about it from the safety of my own home, but I know I would chicken out once I arrived at the top of wherever!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 11:53:05 #851803

I would love to paraglide but I know I would chicken out!!

That thrill walk would be amazing but I don’t think I could cope. Have a look at the pic – that is one brave man.

If you do Schilthorn, would you please let me know how it was – we don’t go til very end of July so I’d love to get any info you could provide. Thank you!!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Train ride to Jungfrau if scared of heights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.