Train schedules reliable in January?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2012 at 16:08:34 #805685

Looking to do a one-week trip in the last week of January, flying in and out of ZRH.

Hoping to spend 3 nights in Luzern and 3 nights in Wengen.

But to make that work, I may have to go from Wengen to ZRH on the morning of my flight, which would depart at 1 PM.

I checked a Saturday schedule in November (I don’t know if they have schedules for January/February yet) on sbb.ch and it seems arriving at ZRH from Wengen by 11 AM should be possible, even though the length of the trip is 3 hours to 3:15 hours.

But what happens with bad weather? How often are schedules missed, or in this case, a train change is missed because the first train from the mountains are delayed?

How risky is it to depend on being able to make it from Wengen to ZRH under the published schedules?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    6 November 2012 at 10:57:39 #837386

Hello hyych. The SBB timetable already lists connections for January, allowing your to find all details on your connection to Zurich Airport. You can get there as early as 9 pm, which should be early enough to catch your flight. Interrupted connections due to weather circumstances don’t occur often, and if you leave early you’ll still have a few hours left, but there are no guarantees. If you feel safer, you can also get to Zurich or Zurich Airport the day before your departure and book a hotel there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2012 at 12:40:48 #837387

I guess one thing I could do is to go directly from the airport to Wengen. It’s 3 hours on a train after a long flight but then I could stay at Luzern in the days before my return flight and the train from Luzern to ZRH should be much more dependable.

• The thread ‘Train schedules reliable in January?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.