Train service from Oberglatt to Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2015 at 10:07:01 #806901

Hi all,

I am a new member. We are planning to visit Switzerland by august / September this year and would really need your suggestions.

If we(2) take Swiss Travel pass Flex, will it cover our travel from Oberglatt to lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt areas? Or is Oberglatt Considered as border?

Our itinerary

We want to spend 14-15 days in Swiss for our honeymoon.

Heidiland/ Mainfield

Zermatt

Oberglatt

Kindly let me know if it would be fine to travel from oberglatt to zurich, lucerne, interlaken on daily/ alternate basis for tours if we take Swiss Travel Pass Flex for 8 days. Also can we go for Heidiland day tour from Oberglatt?

Also please suggest me which are the good base areas if we want to go for lot of village visits(walk or bike) and we could see alpine flowers. Any good places that you would recommend for good floral views. We want a relaxed holiday with lot of walking and to click amazing pics, and also on alternate days include most amazing trips.

Your inputs are greatly appreciated. Really want to know if staying in Oberglatt as a base is fine to use Train by Swiss Travel pass.

Kindly suggest me an itinerary where in our base could be in Oberglatt for 10 days r so and remaining in another place. Also if we could travel to all major attractions while staying in Oberglatt.

Thanks in advance 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 February 2015 at 14:34:59 #841782

Hi vidhu, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Do you mean Oberglatt near Zurich? There is a rail station and it’s all covered by the Swiss Travel Pass Flex (see here). But it’s not a good base to see Switzerland as it is not in or near the mountains. Lucerne is 1h15 by train. Maienfeld is about 1h45. That’s doable, but many other highlights are much further away. If you want to see the Alps you’d better stay in the Jungfrau region, for example. Please see the timetable for travel details, and also include cable car rides going up and down, and actually sightseeing time.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2015 at 16:26:06 #841783

HI Arno,

Thanks for writing. I got an idea about how difficult it will be if I consider oberglatt, Zurich as the base.

Cld you pls help me finalize 2-3 bases for 14-15 days trip for late may to early June . We would love to explore village side of Swiss and Alps and beautiful valleys and flowers. Kindly give me some inputs on which places will have beautifull flora and fauna and if there are any particular village, valleys which we could visit for the same?

. We would like to spend atleast 4-5 days covering amazing train routes like. Kindly suggest us hw many days we must stay at one base and also the order of the same based on the train trips and feasibility of our trip. Lucerne/ Engelberg/Interlaken/Zermatt/Wengen Or any other bases.

Is Heidiland a good bet for a village tour and tour to heidiland (Johanna Spyris Children classic based)

The Gornergrat:

GoldenPass Line.-Jungfraubahn

The Glacier Express.

The Jungfraujoch

Chocolate train

Thanks for your suggestions

Vidhu

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 February 2015 at 13:49:58 #841784

Hi Vidhu,

The Jungfrau region (Interlaken, Grindelwald for example) is an excellent choice. As well as Lucerne and the Engadine (St. Moritz area). All these towns allow easy day trips/hiking into the mountains and around the nearby lakes.

Lots of planning tips can be found on myswissalps.com/plantrip (sample itineraries, step by step planning guide, tour packages, etc). You should be able to start planning from there.

I hope this gets you started!

Kind regards,

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2015 at 16:11:13 #841785

Hi

Thanks again fr your valuable suggestions. We are finding good options for stay near Interlaken and later proceed to Zermatt area. How about Ringgenberg as the base? How is the train connectivity from there to Interlaken, Lucerne and other major attractions?

Along with the ones listed below. Will Ringgenberg be a good base for the same? Or Gwatt area?

The Gornergrat, GoldenPass Line.-Jungfraubahn, The Glacier Express, Chocolate train

Kindly advice

Thanks a ton

Vidhu

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 February 2015 at 10:47:51 #841786

Hi Vidhu,

You can find all train connections in the timetable (see my first post). Interlaken and Lucerne are larger towns and offer frequent connections. Ringgenberg, Wilderswil and other towns near Interlaken offer less trains but they’re still a good base as there are bus connections as well. You can also consider Spiez on Lake Thun (even a day trip to Zermatt is doable from there). Good connections from there as well. I would not recommend a town without a train stop in your case (like Gwatt).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2015 at 16:19:25 #841787

Hi Arno,

Thanks a lot for our valuable suggestions. I would finalize either Ringgenberg or Unterseen as they are really close to Interlaken and will help us with the Day tour and train trips. I would drop Gwatt option as per your suggestion, as train facility is unavailable close by. We prefer to stay in Alps region and also place closeby for train travel to visit all major attractions like jungfrau and Zermatt etc…So we will choose a base close to train station and another one in the mountain ex: Zermatt.

Thanks again

• The thread ‘Train service from Oberglatt to Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.