Train transfer at bern and Zurich stations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 December 2014 at 4:35:41 #806745

Hi there

We are hoping to take the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano in January 2015.

We wil be staying in Interlaken and hope to take a train from Interlaken West at 5:26am to Zurich, arriving at 7.28am (we change trains in Bern). We then take a train from Zurich at 7:37 and arrive at Chur at 8:52. The transfer times at bern and Zurich are under 9 minutes and I am concerned that we will not be able to make them. We are travelling as a group of 7 (3 children) and luggage. Does anyone have any information on these platform transfers and how difficult they might be. I did look at the maps but I would like to know exactly where the platforms are in relation to each other.

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 December 2014 at 7:26:12 #841367

Hi gilldenny,

Nine minutes is plenty of time if everyone can carry their own luggage so you can go to the next train in one go without needing trolleys. Just don’t dawdle and it should be fine. Platform numbers can be found in the timetable if you fill out your date and time of traveling. Last minute platform changes are possible, so do pay attention to the train intercom and info boards on the station.

From what I can see when filling out a random date in January both changes in Bern and Zurich are quite simple: in Bern you need to go the next platform using the escalators up or down via a tunnel. In Zurich it’s two platforms onwards, either through escalators down or via the station hall at the same level.

The trip would be more comfortable without your luggage. The luggage service can ship it from Interlaken to Tirano for you. See here for information and links to more details.

By the way, my personal preference would be to stay the night in Chur and go there the day or evening before, but you’ve probably considered that option too.

Have a great trip!

• The thread ‘Train transfer at bern and Zurich stations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.