Which trains do we need to book from Chur?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 9:29:36 #810808

Hi – we will be in Chur and Zermatt in August 2017 – we have already purchased an 8 day Swiss travel pass. We will be in Chur for 6 days and Zermatt for 3 – and would really appreciate some suggestions on which trains we should be booking / travelling on. We thought we would book The Glacier Express for our move from Chur to Zermatt so that is taken care of – we would love to go on the Bernina Express and the Chocolate train and any others that you may suggest . We can go on the Bernina Express from Chur – I am assuming we would need to book a return ticket to get back to our accommodation in Chur ………. this would be the case with any other train trips we would like to do. Any information / advice would be appreciated – Thank you 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 16:54:37 #859002

Hi aussiepair and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Those are some great train trips you talk about! Take a look at our page on Panoramic trains for more details (if you need them). And yes you will need to book a return trip if you want to go back!

Reservations are extra and mandatory on those trains – information on reservations can be found here.

Please note the chocolate train is near Montreux and not as easy to access for you as the Glacier and Bernina Express as they start or end in Chur. You may want to also consider the Golden Pass train as well (from Montreux to Luzern (local German spelling) and/or Interlaken) if you are down there for the Chocolate train as well.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have more specific questions!

PS any reason you are staying in Chur for 6 nights? I’m just curious, as its mostly used as a town to access the two express trains (one night) and not much else…well usually!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 17:50:45 #859003

Hi aussiepair

There is another trip worth considering if you are staying in Chur. there is a scenic train ride from Chur to Arosa – it takes about an hour and is a great ride. In Arosa you could take the cable car ride up Weisshorn – the views from the top are excellent and it is a lot quieter up there than the crowded peaks in the Bernese Oberland especially in August. The restaurant at the top is really good too.

Read Alpenrose’s trip reports for other ideas for the Engadine.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2017 at 7:47:40 #859004

Thank you so much Lucas and Maggiehorswell – great information ! The reason we are staying in Chur is to use it as a base for day train trips (as advised by our travel agent) and as accommodation in Zermatt and flights etc have all been arranged – its going to be six days 🙂 – so we now want to make the most of this time. We now have the trip from Chur to Arosa to investigate 🙂 and I will read Alpenrose’s trip report for other ideas. We are so looking forward to seeing this beautiful area and are keen to make every day count

Thanks again – Evelyn

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2017 at 8:10:35 #859005

Sounds good aussiepair!

As long as you have your plans on what to see and do then I am sure you will have a great time.

Lucas

Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    15 February 2017 at 9:05:05 #859006

Hello aussiepair

I had the pleasure of doing the Bernina Express last August and it is the most amazing journey by train I have ever taken – hope you are lucky and have a sunny day. Enjoy.

• The thread ‘Which trains do we need to book from Chur?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.