Train travel in Switzerland and Austria?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2016 at 19:53:11 #808461

Hello!

General Itinerary:

My wife and I are planning travel to Switzerland and Austria this July. We arrive in Switzerland and spend about a week traveling from the airport to the Jungfrau region (5 nights), then to Aescher Inn (1 night). From there, we wanted to travel to Innsbruck, Austria (2 nights) then to Salzburg, Austria (2 nights). Finally, depart Salzburg for Lucerne, Switzerland for a few nights before we depart Zurich back to the US.

Question about Trains:

I’m unsure how to plan the train trips for these two countries. I’ve researched the Swiss Travel Pass and understand how that works in Switzerland and the discounts for the Jungfrau Region, but I know very little about trains in Austria, how I’d get from Switzerland to Innsbruck, etc. I’m ultimately spending 9 days in Switzerland and 5 in Austria, so I’m not sure what the best train pass would be. If I buy the Eurail pass that covers both countries, does it work in Switzerland just like the Swiss Travel Pass? Are the discounts in Jungfrau the same?

Thanks for any advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 February 2016 at 6:10:28 #848606

Hi jwmccann, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I can’t help with questions about Austria, but I can help with the passes. The Eurail Pass and Swiss Travel Pass are not identical. A Swiss Travel Pass covers significantly more, but whether that matters depends on your travel plans. You can find lots of details here:

With 9 days in Switzerland it’s probably better to have an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass and a separate one for Austria, but the above links help you to make sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2016 at 14:17:52 #848607

I think you mean the Swiss Travel Pass Flex as the ~8 days I’ll be in Switzerland are staggered (6 days in Switzerland, then 5 in Austria, then 2 in Switzerland). Do you agree? Thanks for the reply and info!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 February 2016 at 1:07:47 #848608

<<“then to Aescher Inn (1 night).”>>

Good for you.

Do you like to climb?

Enjoy the cuisine.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 February 2016 at 9:19:15 #848609

Sorry I missed that; indeed a Swiss Travel Pass Flex would be an option in that case. But in practice that pass proves to be too expensive for many travelers. It might be better to consider either a Swiss Half Fare Card (valid for one month), or a consecutive Swiss Travel Pass for your first few days plus a Tell-Pass for your days in Lucerne. The last link in my previous post will help you choose. Doing the math will also reveal whether the Flex pass is too expensive in your case as well, or if it actually does fit your plans.

• The thread ‘Train travel in Switzerland and Austria?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.