Ticket validity when using Swiss Half Fare Card

• Arthur
    Participant
    15 posts
    25 April 2016 at 15:28:09 #809014

My question is, when you get a ticket from point A to point B must the journey be completed on the same day? Can you get off along the way and then catch a later train to continue your journey? For example, if I purchased a ticket to go from Luzern to Thun, going over the Brünig, could I get off at Lungern, and then continue later in the day or the next day? And/or could I do this where I might have to change trains, such as at Interlaken? And would the busses and ships follow the same rule?

AL

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    25 April 2016 at 16:09:07 #851231

Hi AL,

Tickets are valid only for the date that’s printed on them. So yes, you must complete that specific journey within one day. If you want to divide legs of particular journey over several days, you need several tickets with the correct date for each leg. Within that day, you can get on and off trains, buses or boats along the route your ticket is valid for as often and as long as you like.

Further information about the Swiss Half Fare Card can be found here.

Arthur
    Participant
    15 posts
    25 April 2016 at 17:00:27 #851232

Thank you Annika. I have one other question. According to what it says on your site under how to use the half fare card it says: ” A Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for one month. If validity starts on July 15 it will end after August 14.” Does that mean you can use it on the 15th of July as well as the 14th of August? July has 31 days and so does August and what is quoted above is a 31 day period. However, on the official train site they say the pass is good for 30 days. This is important to me because we need to use the pass on July 11, for a long train ride, and on August 10, when we go to the airport in Zurich.

AL

Annika
    7124 posts
    25 April 2016 at 17:24:15 #851233

Hi AL,

Yes, in that example you can use the Swiss Half Fare Card on July 15 as well as August 14. It’s valid for one month, regardless if the month happens to be shorter than average (February) or longer (July, August). That’s also what I noticed when using the Swiss Half Fare Card myself.

• The thread ‘Ticket validity when using Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.