Train/Bus pass for Geneva-Arolla/Zermatt-Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2015 at 9:52:40 #807303

My friend and I are doing the Haute Route between Arolla and Zermatt.

We will need a train from Geneva to Sion, then a bus to Evolene (where we are stopping the night) on Friday 4th Sept.

The next day a bus from Evolene to Arolla (Sat 5th)

We then need to return to Geneva from Zermatt on Wed 9th Sept by train.

If it makes any difference we will both be over 60 when we travel, and we are from the UK.

None of these tickets are available to buy at the moment.

Could anyone advise which pass would be the best one to buy to get discounts?

Thank you, Alan.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 May 2015 at 18:39:16 #843476

Hello Alan,

Thanks for joining us. Swiss Transfer Tickets are cheaper than regular tickets for this journey. In your case (UK), you can purchase them through http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk. More points of sale can be found here. The Swiss Transfer Ticket includes the transfers from Geneva (airport) to Evolène, and from Zermatt back to Geneva. You would need a regular ticket for the short bus ride from Evolène to Arolla on September 5.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 6:55:04 #843477

Thank you Annika,

I looked at the Transfer ticket and thought we would’d be able to use it to get to/from 2 different destinations, as it says “one of Switzerland’s airports to your destination and back”

Can you clarify?

Thanks Alan.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 7:02:27 #843478

Also it says: “The Swiss Transfer Ticket is ideal for winter travellers and those spending holidays in one location.”

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 May 2015 at 8:29:14 #843479

You can certainly use it for two destinations. Please see myswissalps.com/swisstransferticket/howtouse for a full explanation.

As for the second comment: that’s how most people use it. To travel to one town to do local skiing or hiking there, and then back to the airport or border. But you can use it like I explained in my previous post, no problem.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2015 at 10:12:13 #843480

That’s great, just one last question…Can I buy it now for travelling in Sept?

Thank you very much for the info, I would have probably gone for one of the other cards only for you.

Alan

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 May 2015 at 10:43:43 #843481

Hi Alan,

Yes, you can already purchase it. They will probably not send it right away as they can only issue passes from 3 months ahead of traveling, but you will receive it in the mail when the time comes. I think they even offer to print it at home. I could not check just now as they had some technical issues on their site. You can try in a few hours, I suppose it should be fine then.

• The thread ‘Train/Bus pass for Geneva-Arolla/Zermatt-Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.