Trains identification

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2012 at 8:33:58 #805076

Hello to everyone!

I’m planning to visit Switzerland and travel throughout the country by myself. I want to buy a Swiss Saver Pass and use mainly the trains. I know a lot about its fantastic convenience and functionality. But there’s some points I’m rather vague about and I’d like to make them clear beforehand.

For example, I’m planning to go from Interlaken to Geneva Airport. Using SBB website I can get information concerning some concrete date, e.g. 10.05.12. Could you please tell me, how will I know for sure that the train arriving at the Interlaken West station at 09:32 is the needed R 6113? Will it be marked somehow with the letters “R 6113” or something? And how will I know on which station I should get off the train to make change in order to reach Geneva Airport? Will the stations be announced or, maybe, shown on electronic board?
    And in this situation I have some information about the time, the trains and the points of changing the trains taken from the SBB website beforehand. But what if I’ll miss the needed train or if I’ll have to go somewhere else on the spot? Being right on the railway station and having no Internet on tap, how will I know what train to sit on to get to e.g. Zurich, where to make changes, if necessary, and when to get off? Please, kindly explain it to me.
    Another question concerns the luggage. I’ll have to travel from Geneva to Gruyer in the morning, spend there the whole day and in the evening go from Gruyer to Interlaken. May my luggage be left in some Gruyer’s cloakroom for this day? How and where can it be organized? How much does it cost?

The information concerning these points will bring the invaluable help to me. I would be extremely thankful for your answers.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    25 March 2012 at 13:21:18 #835388

Hello DarkAngel,

If you are traveling by yourself, there’s no need to buy a Swiss Saver Pass (that’s for two or more persons traveling together!). Here you can find all details about the Swiss Pass.

The train numbers you find using the timetable (like R 6113) are just logistical identification numbers (I guess). I have never paid attention to them, and never needed them.
    Of course, if possible it is good to plan your trip online and write down the results. If not, at train stations, platforms and on trains you will find all the necessary information regarding departing trains.
    During your train ride the next stop is always (in my experience) announced and sometimes displayed. There’s always (sometimes just) enough time to change trains.
    When you leave the train, connections to other destinations are announced, including platforms and departure times.
    And, as far as I have seen, station and train personell are very kind and helpful: don’t hesitate to ask them if something is not clear.

I’m quite sure you can leave your luggage at Gruyère station (lockers? manned luggage storage room?), but I’ve never been there and I don’t know about the costs.

Update: using the search function of this website I found a topic about luggage at Gruyere station.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2012 at 14:37:07 #835389

Dear Wandermann, thank you very much for such a detailed answer!
    But I guess that all the announcements are made in French/German, which is a kind of a problem for me as I know only English(together with my native Russian). I’m afraid I won’t be able to figure out the necessary information. Electronic tables would help me better but as I can see it from your words they are not always available.
    Is there a very detailed map containing ALL the train/bus stops consequently shown with its names and locations (I found one (http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/fileadmin/pdf/STS-GB-M-11-EN-WEB.pdf)but it’s too generalized: only large city stops are shown)? May such a detailed map be downloaded somewhere? Taken to a trip, it’ll help me to understand where I am and where to go next.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 March 2012 at 15:49:04 #835390

Hi DarkAngel,

All announcements (as far as I can recollect) are made in German, English and French! I really think you don’t have to worry about finding your way with trains, busses, boats, connections, etc. The English language won’t be a problem!
    You know, for over more than a century people who only speak English visit Switzerland, and tourism is a very substantial part of the Swiss economy.

I don’t know about a map as detailed as you are looking for. But maps.google.com/ will give you many train and bus stations if you zoom in enough on the part of Switzerland you are interested in. The same goes for map.search.ch/

Using the timetable I mentioned will give you the information you need about departing times, platforms, where to change trains etc.
    If you have a cell phone that connects to the internet in Switzerland and if you want to use it there, it is good to know that the SBB offers the timetable as an app.
    If you are interested go to this website.

If in doubt, just ask, and train (or bus) personell will certainly be helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2012 at 18:05:31 #835391

Hello Wandermann!
    Many thanks for your advise and the information. I really think that it’ll help me to find my way in Switzerland!

• The thread ‘Trains identification’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.