Swiss Transfer Ticket discounts in 2017

• al_w
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 August 2016 at 12:54:47 #809825

First, many thanks for the heads up on changes in 2017. My question is will there be any discount offered on regional passes via transfer tickets ? Specifically the current transfer ticket combi offers a 25% discount on Bernese Oberland passes……but since the combi is eliminated in 2017, I’m wondering if holders of 2 (since there will be no combi) transfer passes will be able to get a Bernese Oberland pass discount? Maybe this in not decided yet……but I thought I would ask because we will be getting 2 transfer tickets and 2 Bernese Oberland passes in 2017. Any help is very appreciated……thank you, Al

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 August 2016 at 14:02:37 #854896

Hi Al,

There currently isn’t a discount on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland for Swiss Transfer Ticket holders, so I think it’s unlikely it will introduced in 2017. There’s only a discount for Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi holders, but that product will indeed be discontinued.

Are you sure you need a Swiss Transfer Ticket at all? Where will you stay, and how many days? Where will you come from and go to?

al_w
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 August 2016 at 15:36:11 #854897

Hi Arno…wow, thanks for the quick reply. We will come from the USA to Zurich airport and would like to ride by rail directly (with all the transfers of course) to Wengen. We will be staying 10 days in Wengen and will be hiking ……… I did all the research on your site (with the links to the valid maps) and think the Bernese Oberland pass is best for our plans…….the only reason we are thinking transfer ticket is for the rail from airport to Wengen and then back to Cloten ( the hotel has free van to airport) where we plan to stay 2-3 nights to visit Zurich for a bit…………. thanks, Al

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 August 2016 at 18:48:41 #854898

Hi Al,

I understand: you consider an 8-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland and a Swiss Transfer Ticket. Is that right? I think you’re better off buying the 10-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland and tickets from Zurich to Bern/Lucerne and back. The 10-day pass is only CHF 40 extra. Please see the links to retailers here.

al_w
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 August 2016 at 20:02:50 #854899

Hi Arno…… actually we plant to buy a 10 day Bernese pass, yes. But we need to get from ZFH to Wengen and then back……it seems like the transfer ticket is cheaper than buying ticket from ZFH to bern to Wengen then back from Wengen to Bern to ZFH..but I may be wrong or did it wrong?…….we will use the 10 day pass the entire time in Wengen (10 days) because it gives us the best chance to use Oberland boats on the lakes next to Interlaken but also get to our hikes at the mountain stations like First or Kleine Schideg ……….. does this seem like a reasonable idea?…………thanks, Al

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 August 2016 at 9:30:05 #854900

I see, so it’s 12 days with the transfers from/to Zurich airport included. As there is no 12 day Regional-Pass, your choice certainly makes sense. Regular tickets are more expensive than the Swiss Transfer Ticket. You can print the Swiss Transfer Ticket at home: myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket/pr ice.

al_w
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 August 2016 at 11:31:23 #854901

Thank you Arno….. I feel good to know my plan is a good one. I will use the link you have given me to purchase my passes. I have to say that I really appreciate your site… the forum and the excellent links and information that you provide. I have used it for all my research………… very best to you, thanks, Al

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 August 2016 at 13:34:15 #854902

Great to hear that Al. Thanks to you as well!

• The thread ‘Swiss Transfer Ticket discounts in 2017’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.