Transport in Switzerland/Paris/Germany for 2 Pax

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2013 at 2:01:02 #805905

Hi, I would appreciate if you could help me with my first Europe trip to Switzerland/Paris/Germany.

The itinerary is as follows:

16 May Geneva

17 May Jungfrau/Interlaken

18 May Lucerne-Mt Titlis

19 May Zurich

20 May Paris

21 May Paris

22 May Paris

23 May Germany (Freiburg)

I would like to ask what is the most economical way to travel around?

Should i buy the Swiss Youth Pass for 4 days, or the Swiss Half Fare Card?

Also, since i would be travelling to Paris, and Germany, will it be better if i buy the Eurail Select Pass for 6 Days?

I would like for suggestions for our itinerary and cheapest accommodations in Switzerland as well!

Thank you for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 April 2013 at 9:37:27 #838360

Hi adeliciachua! A 4 day Swiss Youth Pass would be ideal for the Swiss part of your stay. It alows you to travel throughout the country for free. You’d only need additional discounted tickets for the Jungfraujoch and the Titlis.

I’m not sure whether you’d be better off buying one of the Eurail Passes. First of all most of them come in 1st class only, so generally they’re not the cheapest solution if you’re traveling on a budget. Moreover, such a pass would only be worth its money if you plan some intensive traveling by public transportation in France and/or Germany too. The way you’ve listed your plans, the only major train trips apart from your stay in Switzerland seem to be Paris-Swiss border and Swiss border-Feiburg, right? In that case you’d better focus on a rail pass for Switzerland and buy regular tickets for your other trips. If you do plan quite some trips in France and/or Germany too, you may look into the Eurail France-Switzerland or Germany-Switzerland Pass. A Eurail Select Pass wouldn’t work for you, since France is no longer included.

Hotels close to the railway stations can be found through the links below:

These budget tips may come in handy too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2013 at 11:16:41 #838361

Hi!

Thank you for your help!

I would like to ask more on the itinery in Switzerland.

The current plan:

16 May Geneva

17 May Jungfrau/Interlaken

18 May Lucerne-Mt Titlis

19 May Zurich

20 May Paris

Will it be too rush?

Also, i have read about how Jungfraujoch is very expensive, is it really worth going? and if not, what are the alternative routes we can take?

I would also like to know more about the Golden Pass,scenic trains such as Glacier Express, Mont Blanc express.

May i ask if how i could get the most out of my 4 day trip in Switzerland, whether i can incorporate a route or two on the Golden Pass/other scenic trains/ funicular ?(If so, will i have to pay extra with the Swiss Pass)

Lastly, how do i purchase a Swiss Pass? Can i purchase it on the website, or cheaper if i purchase it at Geneva Airport where i will arrive.

Oh, and how do i travel from Zurich to Paris? is it more economical to fly on 20 or to take a train?

Thank you so much for your help!! 🙂

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 April 2013 at 10:15:20 #838362

Hello adeliciachua,

Your itinerary looks fine to me. Of course it would be ideal to spend more than one day in each town, but if these are the places you prefer to see and you only have a couple of days, then this is fine and doable. The order of towns is ok as well.

The Jungfraujoch is indeed not very cheap. I think it’s worth it as it’s a very unique trip. The journey going up there is amazing, even though the last section is in a tunnel: you still can get out at two in between stations and enjoy the view from the tunnel to the outside. It’s unique in Switzerland. The view on the top is great as well. Cheaper options are the Schilthorn, or do just part of the Jungfrau trip until Kleine Scheidegg. Then you get to see the Jungfrau but not travel to the top.

You can do the Golden Pass when traveling from Geneva via Montreux and Zweisimmen to Interlaken (part 1) and from Interlaken via Meiringen to Lucerne (part 2). The other panoramic trains do not fit in your itinerary. It’s all free with the Swiss Pass (except for seat reservations which you mostly don’t need).

How to purchase a Swiss Pass: go to the Swiss Pass page and select your country and preferred pass. The options will be presented to you. In many cases it makes sense to buy online, as the price is about the same or even lower as in Switzerland and you can pay in your own currency to avoid banking fees when paying in Swiss francs.

Zurich to Paris can easily be done by high speed train. I don’t know about plane tickets, but the train is not very expensive if you book this trip well in advance. Moreover, the leg to Basel is free with your Swiss Pass. You’d only need a ticket for Basel to Paris. In most cases you can purchase the ticket along with your pass. Tickets can be found here (again, make sure to select your country first).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2013 at 11:39:30 #838363

Hello!

Thank you for your help:-)

Just to summarize:

*Purchase 4 day Swiss Youth Pass for 2

16 May: Geneva

17 May: Geneva- Interlaken (Reserve seats for Golden Pass: Geneva via Montreux and Zweisimmen to Interlaken)

Interlaken- Jungfrau(Purchase discounted tickets to Jungfrau)

Qn: Spend the night at Grindelwald or back to Interlaken?

18 May: Interlaken- Lucerne ( Reserve seats for Golden Pass: Interlaken via Meiringen to Lucerne)

Lucerne- Mt Titlis(Purchase discounted tickets to Jungfrau)

Qn: Is Mt Titlis very expensive, and is it worth going?

19 May: Lucerne- Zurich

20 May: Zurich-Basel (free)

Basel-Paris

Qn: With the swiss pass, do i need to book in advance for my train journeys? (Lucerne-Zurich, Zurich-Basel) and discounted tickets (Jungfrau,Mt titlis)?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Annika
    7124 posts
    16 April 2013 at 3:03:55 #838364

Hi adeliciachua. Both Grindelwald and Interlaken would be fine. Grindelwald is a bit more scenic, Interlaken is located more centrally for your next day trip on May 18. Prices for the Titlis are mentioned here. The Swiss Pass offers a 50% discount. The views up there are definitely worth it if weather is clear, and so is the cogwheel train ride up to Engelberg. With your Swiss Pass you don’t need any advance bookings, except for panoramic trains such as the Golden Pass. All further train journeys don’t require bookings. Discounted tickets for Jungfraujoch and Titlis can be bought on the spot.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2013 at 12:39:04 #838365

Hello!

Update on my itinery: I have already bought the Swiss Youth Pass for 2.

Seats for Golden Pass from Interlaken-Lucern has also been reserved. (Part 2)

However, i would like to clarify on some matters.

As mentioned, from Geneva-Interlaken (Part 2) i could take the golden pass however, it does not depart from Geneva. In that case, is it right to take a train from Geneva-Montreux,

then reserve the seats for Golden Pass from Montreux-Interlaken?

If we were to do that, we would be reaching Interlaken about 12 plus on 17 May, and would it be too rush to visit Jungfrau?

We considered not taking the golden pass from Geneva-Interlaken so as to shorten our timing, but we should take it right since its already covered under the Swiss Pass?

Another thing, based on your advice, for us to get to Paris on 20 May, we could travel from Zurich-Basel(covered under Swiss Pass), then Basel-Paris (buy tickets seperately)

However, i have checked that the price difference from Zurich-Paris, and Basel-Paris is very insignificant, does it mean i have no choice but to purchase additional tickets from Zurich-Paris (which is very expensive!!)even though i have the Swiss Pass?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 April 2013 at 14:23:03 #838366

Hi adeliciachua. Yes, you should first get to Montreux and then get on board of the Golden Pass train, or indeed a regular regional train running the same route. The Golden Pass trains offer larger windows and more luxurious seats, but the route and views are exactly the same with regional trains. Both are covered with the Swiss Pass, except for the Golden Pass seat reservations.

You can still visit the Jungfraujoch if you arrive early in the afternoon; please check the timetable for all options. Only do it though if weather is still clear. If not, you may want to limit yourself to a train round trip Interlaken-Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald, which is still beautiful.

I’m not sure if I understand your last question correctly. You’ll need tickets between Basel and Paris. The Swiss Pass takes you for free up to Basel, and you’ll have to pay for the remaining French leg of the trip. This also goes if you leave from Zurich, as this route runs via Basel too and Zurich-Basel will still be covered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2013 at 4:28:40 #838367

Hi,

I woud like to check if SBB trains are covered under Swiss Pass?

Just to clarify, is there any difference if we take the SBB train PRICE 50.40CHF (http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?seqnr=1&ident=23.02061191.1366358702&OK#focus) from Interlaken ost to Jungfraujoch as compared to from the Jungfrau website (http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/bergbahn) PRICE-196.7CHF?

For Luzern-Mt Titlis , i understand that it takes 50 minutes by train “Zentralbahn”, as stated in the website. However, can i also take the SBB from Luzerne- Engelberg?

If SBB trains are covered, i would like to find out why we have to pay extra for the trips up to Jungfrau/Mt Titlis?

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 April 2013 at 5:02:55 #838368

Hi adeliciachua,

You can download a network map from the Swiss Pass page. The pass is valid for all trains on the marked routes, so the train operator (SBB, Jungfraubahnen, etc.) does not matter. Most routes are serviced by one operator only. For example: the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) do not operate trains to the Jungfraujoch. The fact that you can find these trains in the Swiss timetable (provided by the SBB), does not mean that all trains there are SBB trains. The timetable includes all trains by all operators. In fact, the operator is not really relevant for you as a traveler. You don’t really notice the difference while traveling.

Prices are not different per operator either. The price you saw in the timetable is a “from” price. It’s the price for a single ticket with a 50% discount (applicable for pass holders). Click “Fare/Buy” too see all prices. Select a return ticket and “No reduction” and you’ll get the same price the Jungfrau site is listing. The standard price is CHF 197.60. The Swiss Pass will get you to Wengen for free, as indicated on the map. You’ll get a 25% discount on the rest of the trip. The total price for a return ticket is CHF 122.25.

I hope this clears things up!

• The thread ‘Transport in Switzerland/Paris/Germany for 2 Pax’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.