Transport passes for Zurich-Wengen-Rhine

• islander
    Participant
    5 posts
    25 March 2016 at 19:56:04 #808719

My husband and I (both in our sixties) plan to travel from Zurich to Wengen on May 24 for some hiking. He then has to go on to Germany while I have reservations in Gottlieben and Regensberg.

I hope someone can advise us on Swiss travel passes. He will be leaving the country May 29, while I will be staying on until June 2nd, when I am booked to fly out of Zurich again. I’m also hoping to do some of my travel near Gottlieben by boat.

What would be the least expensive arrangement, assuming probably at least a couple of short journeys in the mountains around Wengen?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 March 2016 at 14:10:27 #849854

Hello islander, thank you for signing up with us!

The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi could be an option for your husband. It includes the rides from Zurich to Wengen and Wengen to the Swiss border (probably Basel). Additionally he needs a ticket from there to his destination in Germany.

The ticket could work for you as well, but I think a Swiss Half Fare Card might be a better fit since you will be doing more traveling in Switzerland after Wengen.

Please see the above links, and this page is helpful if you want to calculate the cheapest option.

Kind regards,

Arno

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2016 at 22:22:33 #849855

Hi Islander-

Some trails are groomed in the winter….note update date on the bottom of the page and don’t count on this chart to be accurate at season transition at the end of may, early June.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

On May 24th, the high trails may not yet be open, and many cableways will not be operating.

The cable way from Wengen to Männlichen is open on Sunday the 27th, not on the 24th, 25th, 26th, but only on some weekends until early June. (unless the snow melts early this year.)

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The snow pack may have been a little light this year, but I’d not count on having all the trails free.

Lower level trails are likely to be open.

A little information about Wengen and the area:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

islander
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 March 2016 at 14:08:17 #849856

Thanks for your suggestions!

I’ve been doing some calculations. Do I understand correctly that I could use the Swiss Transfer Pass from Zurich to Wengen but not on the circuitous route back to Zurich, when I would be stopping overnight in two other towns?

The transfer pass does seem to be best for my husband. Thanks for pointing it out!

islander
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 March 2016 at 14:20:00 #849857

Thanks! The manager at Hotel Edelweiss has also been very helpful, giving us an estimate of what percentage of trails might be walkable at that time. It looks as if we’ll play it by ear, choosing hikes according to conditions at the time. It’s always good to get recommendations from other hikers.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 March 2016 at 15:24:23 #849858

Hi islander!

The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi is indeed the best option for your husband. I don’t think it is for you, as you won’t travel back to an airport or border station directly but with intermediate overnight stops. In that case you shouldn’t use it for your inbound trip Zurich-Wengen either, as that would be too expensive. The Swiss Half Fare Card recommend by Arno is the better choice for you and you should use it for all trips, including Zurich-Wengen.

islander
    Participant
    5 posts
    28 March 2016 at 14:42:43 #849859

Thanks Annika!

Would it be better to buy the half fare pass online or is it OK to get it at the Zurich airport?

Annika
    7116 posts
    28 March 2016 at 14:50:20 #849860

Hi islander,

It’s better to buy online because that’s easier: you can print the card at home and prevent waiting for a ticket office. The discounted tickets can quickly be purchased from the machines. You can go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and select “Online Ticket” as the delivery option. Other purchase options are in the second link I gave you in my previous post.

islander
    Participant
    5 posts
    7 April 2016 at 12:54:13 #849861

I was just reading another post about a 9 o’clock pass.

This is the first time I’ve heard of it. What is involved?

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 April 2016 at 13:19:31 #849862

Hello islander,

The link on myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ details will get you to all the details.

• The thread ‘Transport passes for Zurich-Wengen-Rhine’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.