Transportation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2010 at 18:32:56 #803843

I am staying with a friend in Lucerne and I want to take a train to Interlaken. Is there a train that goes there? What kind of ticket would you recommend?

From Interlaken can you see Berner Oberland in a day (i know you can spend 8 days there) but is it unrealistic to see it in a day (hike Gimmelwald, kleine scheidegg (possibly go up to Jungfrau), Lauterbrunner) and take a train back to Lucerne.

Or should I plan to stay and night? And if so what part would you recommend?

Thanks for any help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2010 at 21:11:06 #831341

Through investigating it seems the Golden Pass Rail is the best and cheapest transportation option. I would have about 6 hours if I did not stay one night. Again is this unrealistic should I plan staying in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen? To get back to Luzern do I have to go back to Interlaken? Thank you

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 June 2010 at 8:48:24 #831342

Hello girlboxer3,

There’s a direct train from Lucerne to Interlaken once per hour. You can use the timetable to select a connection. You can be there as early as 8h00 and depart with the last direct train at 19h00. There are later connections if you don’t mind to switch trains along the way. You don’t need to travel on the “official” Golden Pass train. There are plenty of other trains.

You can see the Bernese Oberland (or more specifically: the Jungfrau region) in a day, but of course it is a very short time frame. Some people spend 3 weeks there 🙂 Please review the roundabout journey suggestions to get an idea of what’s possible.

I’m not sure whether a rail pass would be a good option. It depends on your exact itinerary and whether you have planned to travel on more days.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    3 June 2010 at 12:35:52 #831343

Hi girlboxer3,
    I’m one of those people who spend three, or sometimes even four, weeks in the Bernese Oberland. And that year after year after year. And I can tell you: still haven’t seen all of it ;-)! But in your case, you probably want to see some highlights, and then I can imagine that Wengen (or Lauterbrunnen) is a good place to stay.

Wishing you lots of fun,

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2010 at 14:49:00 #831344

Thank you so much!! Super helpful! I think I will stay in Lauterbrunnen and do 2 days. Now what to see in 2 days….is the challenge:-) getting excited already!!!

Annika
    7121 posts
    4 June 2010 at 12:51:11 #831345

Hi girlboxer3, exploring the Jungfrau region within 2 days is a challenge indeed, but a very pleasant one :-). Our list of day trips in the Bernese Oberland may help you out a bit. Highlights definitely are Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn and other viewing points such as Männlichen and First. All can be reached easily from Lauterbrunnen. In bad weather, the Trümmelbach falls are an impressive alternative. Moreover, the wonderful Lauterbrunnen valley with the Staubbach fall is an attraction in itself. Have a beautiful stay!

• The thread ‘Transportation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.