Travel from Fussen to Grindelwald with Swiss Pass

• yldleung
    Participant
    6 posts
    21 July 2017 at 15:01:16 #812686

Hi,

Would like to know if traveling from Fussen to Grindelward one way trip, should i purchase a Swiss pass? And has to transfer for a cross border train somewhere?

Searching on web saying that it takes more than 8 hours by train, while driving only take 4. Is there any way faster than 8 hours?

would be grateful if can share the info about the route.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    22 July 2017 at 6:53:18 #867119

Hi Yldleung, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The SwissPass is for Swiss residents only nowadays. The pass you may need is the Swiss Travel Pass. If that’s the best choice for you depends on all of you transfers and day trips combined. Please see here for a detailed explanation.

Füssen to Grindelwald takes at least 5 hours by car, if there are no traffic jams. You’d best avoid the Zürich/Luzern area during rush hour. By train it takes 7h40 at least. There’s no quicker way unfortunately. If you’re willing to spend about one more hour on the trip you could travel via Luzern on the Golden Pass line. The tip will take a day anyway so you could make it more scenic that way.

yldleung
    Participant
    6 posts
    22 July 2017 at 7:59:40 #867120

Hi Arno,

thanks so much for the detail and prompt reply.

so in your opinion, should I take direct express from Buchloe to Zurich, or should find a transfer within Swiss border if I get a Swiss travel pass? (Or there is not such an option?)

Regards

Arno
    15482 posts
    22 July 2017 at 18:23:47 #867121

You’re most welcome YldLeung!

I’m not sure if I understand your question. Just let me know if that’s the case. A direct train from Buchloe to Zurich will cross the border, usually in St. Margrethen, and your Swiss Travel Pass is valid from that point onward. That works regardless of which train you are on. So in this example you would only need a ticket to St. Margrethen. You just stay seated there as the pass covers the rest of the trip.

yldleung
    Participant
    6 posts
    23 July 2017 at 5:29:01 #867122

Hi Arno,

That’s very helpful, thats exactly what I am asking for! Thanks so much! That’s mean in Fussen, I should purchase a ticket from Fussen to St. Margrethen, and then get onboard a train that is from Fussen to Zurich, right? (And I suppose most of them are not terminal in St. Margrethen but in Zurich)

Regards

Daniel

Arno
    15482 posts
    23 July 2017 at 12:26:00 #867123

Hi Daniel,

Yes, exactly, that’s how it works. You can buy the ticket for the German section through http://www.bahn.com/en or any of the websites listed here. Just make sure you double check where your train is crossing the border. You can do so in the timetable (you can click down to the train details so it shows all the stops). It can be St. Margrethen, but Buchs SG is also a possibility. Once you have verified that you can buy the ticket.

• The thread ‘Travel from Fussen to Grindelwald with Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.