Travel from Zermatt to Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2016 at 22:45:07 #809768

Hi

I need to travel from Zermatt to the following address in Geneva – Rue de Lausanne 41-43, Paquis, 1201 Geneva.

The sbb website shows me a train that gets me to Geneve station and then asks me to walk to Cornavin station to take a bus. Is there is no way to drive directly at Cornavin station on the train? Want to avoid having to walk with luggage and 2 kids in tow!

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    28 July 2016 at 5:00:27 #854618

Hi Prem,

It gives you the option of either walking to that address (less than 10 minutes), or walk to the tram stop at the station and take tram 15. It’s a very short ride. Just one stop probably.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2016 at 19:49:36 #854619

I recently travelled on Switzerland .

although not geneva. I went all by train from Zurich airport to luzern then walked to hotel.

Luzern to Zermatt and then on Lugano. 4 adults ( one in 70s) 2 children and 7 bags.

The trains work to well and connections. Everyone is helpful. Lugano to hotel we caught a public bus advised by hotel no problem.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 July 2016 at 23:09:34 #854620

Hi Premj-

You are confusing the various listings in the timetable. It is easy to do.

Cornavin is the main rail station in Geneva.

There are buses and trams available just outside the station. They will have slightly different listing for the start point in the timetable.

That is how you get to the #15, mentioned by Arno.

You can walk to the Paquis area, or ride some kind of bus or tram. I used to walk it routinely, but not with a lot of luggage.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 July 2016 at 14:17:27 #854621

Hi Prem-

It looks like you are staying at the Royal Hotel. The back rooms overlook the railyards.

I have stayed there a few times, because it is convenient to Cornavin. It is a short walk from the main station (Cornavin), about 300 meters. It is on the main street, so that you exit the front exit of the station, turn left, and walk along a level sidewalk.

I have done that walk with luggage, and it is not too hard.

If your luggage has wheels, and you do not have many suitcases or a lot of weight, it may actually be simpler to walk there than to ride a bus or tram. Getting luggage on and of a tram or bus is often made easy by “low-floor” trams, but I don’t know if all trams and buses in Geneva have those yet. So, that is why I sometimes walk with luggage for a short distance.

On the other hand, this map shows a bus stop almost in front of the hotel.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mapsearch.ch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=map.search.ch

Route 15, as Arno noted.

Stepping back a moment, you will take the train to Geneva. You will arrive at the main station, listed as Geneva. The French name of that station is Gare Cornavin. When you leave main station Cornavin by the front exit, the bus stops and tram stops are immediately in front of you. By doing that, you have walked from Cornavin rail station of Geneva to “Geneva,Cornavin” which is the name of the bus/tram station. The bus/tram goes to “Geneva, Mole” which is the name of the bus/tram stop in front of the Royal.

(Please forgive my inability to put the proper accents on the French words.)

Hope that helps.

It is confusing.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2016 at 21:42:15 #854622

Dear Slow poke

May thanks for the detailed explanation…you are right it is confusing 🙂

I am staying at the Royal Manotel. So as i understand once i exit from the Geneve (or Cornavin station which are one and the same) the hotel is about 300 m. if that is the case then i agree walking is a better option. I guess the reason i got confused was on the sbb website when i gave the hotel address it told me that once i reach Geneve station i need to walk 8-9 min to the cornavin station and then catch the tram/bus. From what you have mentioned above this tram/bus station is just outside train station. Anyway since the hotel is 300 m from the train station that i will arrive at walking might be better option

thanks again

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 July 2016 at 22:17:54 #854623

Hi Premj-

You understand correctly.

You may have misread the timetable, concerning which part of the trip the 8-9 minutes referred to. Never mind, now you have it right.

The map link I gave above should have shown you the details, but, apparently, it did not work.

I have attached a screen grab showing the station, and the hotel ( red pointer)

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Travel from Zermatt to Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.