Swiss travel end May 2016 to Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2015 at 7:46:08 #808085

Hi I’m planning to make a trip from 24-27 May 2016. We are two couples total of 4 people.

Need some advise on whether I should get a Swiss travel pass or a half card or a BO pass.

My itineary are as follows; I’m planning to spend 4 days in Switzerland. Preferably 3 nights

1. I will be Travelling from Paris to Zurich understand that I can buy a ticket to Basel and the that the Basel to Zurich part would be covered under Swiss pass.

2. From Zurich I’m planning to travel straight to Interlaken without any rest in Zurich so is that covered under Swiss pass and can this be done?

Which would u advise me to stay Interlaken as the base or Lucerne? I’m planning to visit the BO region.

3.I want to take the golden express train from Lucerne to Interlaken Planning to go to grindewald Maybe lauterbrunnen as well and jungfrau and maybe schillitorn. So not sure about whether I should get the BO pass? Or is the Swiss travel pass or half card sufficient.

5. From Interlaken I’m planning to take the train to Lucerne maybe spend a night There (go tiltis?) or any other attractions you recommend.

6. From Switzerland planning to head to Milan but I was thinking between the glacier express from Lucerne to st moritz via andermatt should I stay a night in st moritz? Then from there take either the bernina express train or a normal train to Milan?

Alternatively so you think I should skip the andermatt route and go straight to spiez and then to domodosola and straight to Milan? Does the Swiss pass cover the journey? Wana see most scenery in the journey.

This is my first tripthanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    2 November 2015 at 13:59:18 #846823

Hello Prisca!

If the Bernese Oberland is your main focus, Interlaken makes a lot more sense than Lucerne. One of the smaller towns like Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Mürren or Grindelwald is attractive too, but these are located less centrally.

Since you plan to travel outside of this region too, a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland isn’t the best solution. I think you should look into a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card instead. The Swiss Travel Pass is the most convenient option, as you don’t have to buy additional tickets for most trips. I think it’s worth it, especially if you plan to make a detour via St. Moritz on your way back. The Swiss Half Fare Card does require you to get a 50% discounted ticket before boarding. Which option is more economical, depends on all details of your finalized itinerary. If you want to make calculations to be sure, you can find tips and tools at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

What’s covered can be found at the ‘validity’ section of each pass page, like myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity. The entire route Basel-Zurich-Interlaken is included indeed. If you travel via Zurich and Lucerne, you indeed get to enjoy a part of the Golden Pass route between Lucerne and Interlaken.

If your main aim is to see as much of Switzerland as possible, and if you don’t mind changing your base town and hotel a couple of times, you can indeed head for St. Moritz and spend a night there, taking the Bernina Express to the border. If so, I suggest you travel from Lucerne to St. Moriz via Chur, not via Andermatt as well. That’s an extra detour, and the section Chur-St Moritz is beautiful too – and part of the Glacier Express route you’re interested in.

Of course it’s much easier to travel directly from Interlaken to Milan via Domodossola. This is really a matter of personal preference.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2015 at 15:20:40 #846824

Hi annika, thanks for the reply just want to enquire if I should stay in lauterbrunnen instead of Interlaken I’m planning to definitely visit jungfraujoch but I also read that schillitorn is beautiful however the furnicular isn’t operational in may. If I’m planning to have 3 nights in Switzerland in total what do you recommend? Also do you have any good recommendations for hotel in either lauterbrunnen or at mortiz or maybe Interlaken? Thanks thanks 🙂

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 November 2015 at 5:49:35 #846825

Hi Prisca,

The funicular from Mürren to Allmendhubel will not operate, but the cable car to the Schilthorn (mind the spelling when looking for schedules) will be available.

Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen are very different. Lauterbrunnen is scenic and very small. Interlaken is less scenic, much larger, with more transport options and shops (see the link Annika gave you). Both towns are fine to visit Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. The choice is yours!

As for an hotel: we can provide better suggestions if you first decide in which towns you will stay. Then please open a new thread for this question and include your travel dates, budget and other preferences.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 November 2015 at 7:17:40 #846826

Hi Prisca –

Late may is the end of the “between seasons” time near the Jungfrau. Skiing is pretty well finished; summer hiking has not really begun.

The services you have discussed are running, but, for one example, the large cable car from Wengen to Männlichen and the splendid short trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg tend to open in early June. Depends on how much snow is left up there at 2200 meters (or thereabouts)

Some hotels may be closed for between seasons break, but there are not many tourists then, so a room should be available.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Swiss travel end May 2016 to Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.