Travel in Switzerland, which pass if any suits?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2016 at 21:29:09 #808241

My wife and I are travelling through Switzerland starting early May 2016. We would like to know what would be the best tickets for our purpose.

We have so far decided on 5 rail journeys but would welcome any recommendations for other trips.our schedule so far is Milan to Zermatt, Zermatt to St Moritz, St Moritz to Zurich, Zurich to Lyon, Lyon to Nice.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 January 2016 at 8:00:05 #847532

Hi dmacphee,

Thanks for joining the discussions! I’m not sure if the listed journeys are in the intended order, but if so, I’d recommend to change it to Milan – Lugano – St. Moritz (Bernina Express) – Zermatt (Glacier Express) – Lyon – Nice. This saves traveling time, and you can skip Zurich, unless you have a specific reason to go there and plenty of time for your trip. Please see the links for more details.

I any case you’ll be doing quite some traveling, so a rail pass will save you money over tickets. In order to pick the best rail pass, you also need to factor in the number of days for the entire trip, and day trips you’ll be making from the towns. This page explains how to do so.

Does this help?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2016 at 22:40:14 #847533

Hi Arno

Many thanks for your reply and information. Your suggestions are exactly what I have been looking for to get the best out of our trip and will no doubt enhance our experience. Looking at the maps now makes more sense and saving travelling time when on holidays is very important. It is great to find a site that responds quickly and with extremely relevant information. We both thank you for your assistance.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 January 2016 at 13:40:21 #847534

Wonderful! Feel free to post back here if any questions remain.

• The thread ‘Travel in Switzerland, which pass if any suits?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.