Travel itinerary- Best scenic routes to take

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2015 at 10:51:16 #807478

Hi all,

I arrive in Zurich on the 2nd of July 10.00 am by flight, and need to get to Meiringen where I will be staying for 2 nights leaving for Lucerne on the 4th July and stay in Lucerne for 2 nights and leave for Zurich on the 6th of July for a flight back to London at 9.30 pm.

I needed your help to decide what will be the most scenic routes to travel during this time.

I have bought a 1 day travel pass for me and my wife for the first day i.e. 2nd July, this was available on the Sbb site for a limited time and for the rest of the days I have a 4 day Swiss pass

Day 1: Zurich to Meiringen : Shall I take train from Zurich to Meiringen via. Lucerne – Interlaken- Meiringen or shall I go via Bern along lake thun to Interlaken and then to Meiringen, which is more scenic irrespective of the travel time involved. If I take the Bern route would you suggest getting off at some small villages encounter, or get off at Bern for some time

Day 2: Meiringen to Jungfraogoch: How should I travel by train or by bus again to see the most scenic route and should I go via latterbrunnen or grindelwald. During my return spend some time in Interlaken before heading back to Meiringen

Do I need to go to Interlaken or is there a way directly from Meiringen to these places during my journey to Jungfraogoch, again which will be most scenic

Day 3: Meiringen to Lucerne: Again which route, can spend time stopping at small villages as will have this day for leisure and relaxing, and want to cover Mount Rigi from Lucerne in the later half of the day

Day 4: Plan to visit mount Pilatus or can skip it , any alternatives to this if can be suggested are most welcome, I want to cover the most scenic routes

Day 5: Spend some time In Lucerne city and then head to Zurich

Plan to visit the Rhine falls if possible or shall I see around Zurich, not much interested in museums, so any other options

Again I am open to the change in itinerary if there are any suggestions

Thanks

Rahul

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 June 2015 at 10:34:12 #844082

Hi Rahul,

The route from Zurich via Lucerne to Meiringen is scenic (at least from Lucerne). It’s part of the Golden Pass route. You can keep a day trip to Bern in mind in case of a bad weather day.

The routes to the Jungfraujoch are explained here. There’s a scenic bus route from Meiringen via Grosse Scheidegg to Grindelwald you can include on that day. With a Swiss Travel Pass, the bus is free to Schwarzwaldalp and discounted beyond that.

Please see our Mount Rigi page to plan that trip. More tips for that region are on our Lake Lucerne page. Be sure to include one of the boat trips!

The Rhine Falls are certainly a good option, as well as the historic city center of Zurich and boats on Lake Zurich.

Be sure to do some hiking too and not just traveling. That’s the best way to see the scenery. Please see the hiking section.

• The thread ‘Travel itinerary- Best scenic routes to take’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.