Travel pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2012 at 11:41:20 #805481

Hi,
    We’re 4 adults going to stay in Engelberg for 8 days in August. We’re a bit confused by all the possible travel passes and would really appreciate your help.
    We are planning to visit Zurich, the Rhine Falls, Lucerne, go up the Titlis of course, and the Engelberg area by trains and cablecars.
    What would the best travel card be for us?
    Thanks!
    Ayala

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    27 July 2012 at 10:35:32 #836748

Hi Ayala, and welcome the forum. If you like the idea of free traveling on all days of your stay, without having to buy discounted tickets, consider an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass. This is certainly the most convenient option. You can also consider a Swiss Card, but whether this is economical depends on how you’ve planned your inbound and outbound trips. If these are relatively short and cheap, the Swiss Half Fare Card would be better than the Swiss Card.

You can try to make some calculations to find out which pass is best.

Does this get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2012 at 15:57:36 #836749

Thank you! It was indeed a good start, and it’s a real pleasure to have an expert help out! (I was away from the computer the last two days…) But I would still like to ask my question again, in a more detailed and accurate way, if I may.
    First of all, I made a mistake when writing to you – our trip is 9 days, not 8, and that nixes the Swiss Pass, as on the first and last days of our stay we travel the most – to and from the airport.
    Also, what we plan on is one day trip to Zurich, including a visit to the Rhine Falls, one day trip to Lucerne and a climb on the Pilatus, and the rest of the days – hiking trips around Engelberg, going up the Titlis and using cablecars and local trains. If you have any ideas of other places we should go to, we’d be happy to hear about them (not the Interlaken area – we were there last year…)
    We’d like to know if the half-fare card gives us a discount on the Titlus and Pilatus lifts, and, according to what we’re planning on doing, if it is, indeed, the best for us.

Also, how much it costs for 4 adults traveling together – somehow I can’t find it with all the other cards.

Thanks a lot!
    Ayala

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2012 at 16:00:31 #836750

I just saw on the Titlis site that they don’t accept the Half-Fare Card…What’s the next best thing?
    Thanks again,
    Ayala

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2012 at 17:33:05 #836751

Another option caught my eye – the Tell Pass.
    I hope you can help us out with all these different cards…!
    Thanks,
    Ayala

Annika
    7115 posts
    30 July 2012 at 5:36:49 #836752

Hi ayala. The Tell Pass would be good for your days in Engelberg, but it won’t cover your trip to Zurich and the Rhine Falls and parts of your inbound and outbound trips. But since you’ll focus on the Lucerne region apart from these trips, the Tell Pass would definitely work out.

One thing to consider is that the Tell Pass won’t really allow you to get to other Swiss regions. You may not have planned this now, but if weather is bad in the Lucerne area and better in other regions, you may want to make longer trips than you expected. In that case a rail pass for the whole of Switzerland is more convenient. The Swiss Half Fare Card would be a good choice then. That is, if you travel from and to Zurich Airport. With another point of entrance the Swiss Card may be more economical, as I mentioned before. Please review the validity map we link to from the Swiss Half Fare Card page and other pass pages. It shows what’s covered (which includes the Titlis; they describe it as 1/2 Fare in their price overview).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2012 at 7:32:14 #836753

Thank you!

• The thread ‘Travel pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.