Swiss Travel Pass for 6 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2016 at 12:29:38 #810267

Hi there,

I am planning an urgent last minute trip to Switzerland for Nov 10th with my partner and we are considering the following trip:

Zurich -> Lucerne -> Interlaken -> Montreaux -> Zermatt -> Zurich

I am thinking the Swiss Travel Pass will be the best as the trip includes long trips as well as mountain trips, but there isn’t a 6 day option. Do I just buy two 3 day passes each? Is this the best option?

Any changes you recommend to the trip? I know November is low-season, so should we not move around so much as chances are the weather won’t be suitable for scenic trips?

Also, when I use the Timetable to look up train times, how do I know which one is the Golden Pass panoramic train? I see in the legend for Lucerne to Interlaken there is a panoramic train icon, but not for Interlaken to Montreaux?

Kind regards.

Kim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 October 2016 at 14:03:29 #856707

Thanks for joining the discussions here Kim!

You can best buy one 8-day pass. That’s the cheaper and more convenient option. You can print it at home to save time and use it immediately once you have arrived. To do so, please visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) within 3 business days.

Any train from Interlaken to Montreux via Zweisimmen is on the Golden Pass line (it’s a route rather than a specific train). Explanations are here: myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/ gettingthere.

Indeed staying put for a while increases your chances of a good weather day. Another option is to stay in a more central location, like Brig instead of Zermatt. In case of bad weather you’ll have more options there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2016 at 2:52:55 #856708

Thanks for the prompt reply Arno!!

We are mainly interested in scenic activities hence why we are jumping around to different cities so that if its bad weather we can still see the views on the train rides… But

1. will the train rides still be scenic in bad/cloudy weather?

2. If the train rides are not that great in bad weather either, do you think a good option would be to stay 3 nights in Lucerne and 2 nights in Murren?

3. Are there enough non-scenic activities to do throughout our trip in these two cities? (We are not keen on museums so the only other non scenic activities i could find were visits to falls. Other suggestions for non mountain activities would be much appreciated!)

thank you so much for your help!

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 October 2016 at 8:32:41 #856709

You are welcome!

1. That depends. With high clouds it can still be very nice. Sometimes even more impressing than with clear skies. But zero visibility, e.g. in case of fog, is obviously not very attractive. Fog is common in November, but often just in the lower areas, so you could escape it buy going up in the mountains.

2. Lucerne is always a good option. Plenty to do. In Mürren you’ll be dependent on the weather as there are no indoor activities. A visit to Bern from there is doable.

3. You’ll find suggestions on our town pages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2016 at 9:40:21 #856710

Thanks Arno!

I think I will change our itinerary so we will stay in Lucerne and Murren. We will definitely visit Berne for the Parliament house light show!

SInce this removes the long train trips, and also the chance that we will not go up mountain at all, is the Swiss Travel Pass still the best options for us?

Thanks again, you have helped abate a lot of stress for me!

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 October 2016 at 12:20:12 #856711

Hi Kim,

In that case you might be better off with the Swiss Half Fare Card. The link explains all about it. It can be printed at home as explained before. Price wise you can compare it with the Swiss Travel Pass as explained here. If the price difference is small, the Swiss Travel Pass is the more convenient option.

Please don’t skip mountain visits unless the weather is bad during your entire stay. You may regret that later. The views from any high altitude place should be among the highlights of your trip. You’ll find many options and pictures through myswissalps.com/ activities/naturalsite s/ mountains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2016 at 7:35:13 #856712

Thanks Arno! We will get the Half fare card! We will definitely make it a priority to visit the mountains!

I just realised I have a friend I can stay with in Sion. Is this a good base camp to travel to Interlaken/Montreux/Zermatt?

Thanks,

Kim

Annika
    7124 posts
    23 October 2016 at 9:21:56 #856713

Hi Kim,

Sion is not the most convenient base town for your plans in my opinion. You’d best check the timetable (Montreux is at about 40 minutes by train, Zermatt 1h50, Interlaken 1h30). Lucerne and Mürren, which seem to be your most preferred destinations, are much further off. But of course it’s up to you. If you’re fine with those traveling times and if you’re able to save on accommodation costs this way, I understand it’s a serious option to consider. If you do opt for Sion, you will be dealing with longer and more expensive train transfers, which may require you do reconsider your choice for the Swiss Half Fare Card :-).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2016 at 3:50:09 #856714

I have decided to buy the Swiss half fare card but unfortunately I will be flying out to Europe in 2 days!! I was hoping we could print them at the hotel we stay in but my travel agent says they can only be mailed. Is it possible to buy the pass when we arrive at the Airport in Zurich??

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 October 2016 at 9:51:32 #856715

Hi Kim,

Sure you can print them at the hotel as you will receive it through e-mail, not mail (see my first reply to you). Assuming you can access your e-mail from anywhere (your phone for example), you can just forward the e-mail with the attached PDF-document to the reception of your hotel and ask them to print it. If you order as explained in my first reply you will probably receive it within one business day so you can still take care of it at home, but if it takes longer you can print it at your hotel. You can buy it at the airport as well, but it takes more time. It can be pretty busy at the staffed ticket office.

Have a good trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2016 at 10:15:42 #856716

Thanks Arno! We have ordered a 4+1 day pass through the travel agent (covering 5 days).

We will arrive late on Nov 10th, so your first time of travel will be at around 5:30pm. Does this mean the pass will cover us til Nov 15th 5:30pm? (We still need to travel to airport on Nov15th)

Thanks heaps,

Kim

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 October 2016 at 12:08:45 #856717

Hi Kim,

That’s not the Swiss Half Fare Card you mentioned earlier today. The promoted pass you have ordered now can’t be delivered through e-mail as far as I know. Anyway, the last day of a 5 day pass starting November 10 is November 14. You can’t use it on November 15. The Swiss Travel Pass page explains about validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2016 at 12:35:34 #856718

I was told the other way around…the half fare card needs to be delivered, and this pass can be email :S

I am confused!!!

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 October 2016 at 12:52:53 #856719

Hi Kim,

That’s not accurate. The Swiss Half Fare Card can for sure be e-mailed (see our pages, that’s how nearly all people order it). It’s probably just a matter of your travel agent not being able to do so. You don’t need a travel agent for passes; passes can be ordered online quickly and easily. The Swiss Travel Pass can be e-mailed too, but this special offer is being shipped through the mail. I haven’t seen exceptions yet, but your travel agent may have an option.

Anyway, enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass for 6 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.