Travel selection for families with young children

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2011 at 14:41:23 #804798

Hello, we are a family of 2 adults and 2 children (ages 10/7). We are starting our trip in Zurich and we have 4 days to visit Switzerland. My plan is: 1-day for Zurich, 2 days for the Jungfrau region and 1 day back to Zurich via Luzern. I would like to spend the 2 days of the Jungfrau region in a hotel in Interlaken but I am worried about traveling by train with children and plents of luggage. An alternative would be to have a base in Zurich where I would leave my luggage and make a round trip to the Jungfrau by train in two separate days. What would be the best option and what railway passes should I select? Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2011 at 20:07:53 #834542

You could use the Swiss Fast Baggage service. Leave your bags off by 9 am in Zurich station and pick them up later in the day at either the Interlaken Ost or Interlaken West station
    Docl

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2011 at 16:18:14 #834543

dick1, thank you for your help. We will be arriving at 16:20 and probably our luggage will arrive in the next day, right? I am aso considering now taking the Fly Rail Baggage and going directly to Interlaken in the first 2 days of my travel and using the Swiss Fast Baggage to move from Interlaken to Zurich. Do you have experience with the Fly Rail Baggage?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2011 at 18:52:27 #834544

I used Fly Rail Baggage when I flew into Zurich and picked up my baggage in Lungern. It was on the same train as we were on. Another time we had to wait about an hour.
    The baggage room in Interlaken Ost closes at 6:30pm so I doubt wheter you could pick up your luggage till the morning
    Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2011 at 16:12:09 #834545

We are from Brazil. We will land in Zurich from St. Petersburg (Russia) and then travel to Interlaken immediatly using the Fly Rail Baggage to send part of our luggage (we will keep at least one suitcase containing the essentials with us). There, we intend to visit the Jungfrauchjoch and the Schilthorn. After that , we will move back to Zurich (we will send the baggage using the Swiss Fast Baggage) where we intend to stay the last 2 days of this trip. What railway cards do you suggest? I was considering to purchase 2 half-fare travelcards, 2 junior cards and the railway tickets. It seems that I will get a good discount in the Jungfraujoch railway with these cards. Can you tell me about the connections in the railway Zurich-Interlaken? It seems that we will have at least one connection but the time between the connections appears to be too tight for someone with children and one piece of luggage (about 5-6 minutes). What happens if I miss a connection? Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2011 at 16:25:02 #834546

If you are looking at the 17:40 pm train out of the airport, the change of trains occur in Bern. The train from the airport comes in on Platform 6 while the train to Interlaken leaves on Platform 5. All you have to do is walk across the platform to the connecting train. It is only a few feet. It is plenty of time to make the connection. If you miss it you would have to wait an hour for the next train to Interlaken

Annika
    7121 posts
    11 December 2011 at 9:30:36 #834547

Hi flandermd. As for rail passes: Swiss Half Fare Cards would indeed be an excellent choice for your trip. They offer a 50% reduction on nearly all tickets, including those to the Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn. Please note that you don’t have to buy Junior Cards, if the children traveling along are your own children. The free STS Family Card that can be ordered along with the Swiss Half Fare Cards will allow them to travel along for free in that case.

The Swiss timetable may come in handy too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2011 at 11:59:05 #834548

Some more doubts: a) Is there the 1-month half-fare card? Can I purchase it in any Swiss railway station? Also, the free STS Family Card can be obtained in any station? b) Similar to the 1 year half-fare travel card, can I use the 1-month half-fare card in the Jungfraujoch railway? c) The children traveling with me are my own children. If we have the free STS Family Card, in the Jungfraujoch railway will they travel for free? Or specifically in this train the Junior Cards will be necessary? d) In the Zurich Airport, is it possible to send my baggage using the Swiss Fast Baggage service even if we arrive late (at 16:30)? In this case, can you estimate when is it supposed to be delivered in Interlaken?
    I cannot thank you all enough for your unvaluabe help.

Annika
    7121 posts
    12 December 2011 at 14:55:33 #834549

Helle flandrmd.

1) Yes, there is. All purchase options are listed here. You can either order along the free STS Family Card or obtain it at a manned railway station.
    2) Yes, you can. Please take a look at the overview map we link to from the Swiss Half Fare Card page.
    3) Yes, the STS Family Card allows your children to travel for free on all trips, including the one to the Jungfraujoch.
    4) For your luggage to be delivered the same evening, you should hand it in before 9pm. If you do so at 16.30, your luggage should arrive the next working day. All details can be found at the SBB website.

I hope this answers your questions! Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2011 at 12:27:25 #834550

Thank you. About the train startion in the Zurich Airport: a) Is there a manned SBB office there where I can purchase the Hal-fare card and get the STS Family card? b) Can I send my baggage there to Interlaken using the Fast baggage Service? c) I will be arriving from St. Petersburg flying Swiss Airlines (leaving at 16:00, St. Petersburg local time, arriving at Zurich at 16:00, Zurich local time): how can I request the Fly rail baggage there? Would it be a better option the the fast baggage service?
    thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2011 at 20:19:23 #834551

There are ticket offices in the Zurich Airport where you can get the half fare card and a family card.
    You can send your baggage to Interlaken but it will not get there until the next day.
    Your have to purchase the Fly Rail Baggage tags before you take your flight from St. Petersburg. You attatch them to your bags before you check them in. Again they will not arrive in Interlaken until the next day.
    Dick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2011 at 20:50:40 #834552

Thank you again dick1. Please tell me where I can purchase the Fly Rail Baggage in St Petersburg (in Swiss airlines?). In your opinion, would it be better to send my baggage by Fly Rail Baggage or Fast Baggage service?

• The thread ‘Travel selection for families with young children’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.