travel tips

travel tips

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
suni
suni
5 posts
Nov 3, 2014 - 12:10 PM

My husband and I are travelling to Switzerland for the first time in June 2015. We have booked a 7 night stay in Davos. We would appreciate your advise on the following:-

1. Would we be able to make day trips out to Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch or would it be advisable for us to extend our stay and stay a night in Lucerna or Interlaken. We are keen to go to Mount Pilatus and Jungfraujoch. I understand that interlaken would be a good base to take the train to Jungfraujoch.

2. Since we will be travelling from Zurich to Davos then to Lucerne, Interlaken and back to Zurich, would it be advisable to get a swiss pass or Is driving advisable?

3. Will we be eligible to a guest pass in Davos? I understand that with the guest pass we can travel locally for free. I would appreciate any advise you can give on our travel plans.

Thanks and regards,

Suni

Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
Nov 4, 2014 - 5:41 AM

Hi Suni,

1. Interlaken or any other nearby town would be best for a visit to the Jungfraujoch. You can't do a trip trip from Davos, see the timetable. Mount Pilatus is also very far from Davos. You'd better focus on attractions near Davos, in the canton of Graubünden.

2. I recommend the trains. Public transport is excellent: safe and comfortable and much less hassle than renting a car and trying to cope with local regulations. Whether a Swiss Travel Pass is best, or any of the other passes, depends on your detailed travel plan. All passes can be found here, and how to pick one is explained here.

3. Yes, you will. Especially the free cable car rides will be worth it. Trains and buses will be covered by your rail pass anyway. More information is here: http://www.davos.ch/en/experience/summer/davos-klosters-inclusive.html

suni
suni
5 posts
Nov 4, 2014 - 6:05 AM in reply to Annika

Hi Annika,

Thanks so much for a prompt reply. I will start working on a detailed plan and write to you if I have further queries.

Suni

suni
suni
5 posts
Nov 10, 2014 - 5:54 AM in reply to suni

Hi Annika,

I have been reading many posts and am concerned that Davos is not really a popular destination. Can you please suggest what we can do while in Davos for 7 days?

Thanks and regards,

Suni

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
Nov 11, 2014 - 6:45 AM

Hi Suni,

Davos is one of the more popular Winter sports towns in Switzerland. Summer high season is in July and August when people will mostly be hiking and doing other outdoor activities. Some suggestions, apart from the many hiking trails, are day trips to Chur, to Arosa (very nice train ride), to the Upper Engadin (via Filisur) and Lower Engadin (via Klosters and Sagliains). Also Heidiland and the Bernina Express railway are within reach.

There's plenty to do for weeks, although good weather really helps. More suggestions can be found here: www.davos.ch/en/experience/summer.html

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016