Travel tips for a 7 night stay in Davos

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2014 at 12:10:34 #806706

My husband and I are travelling to Switzerland for the first time in June 2015. We have booked a 7 night stay in Davos. We would appreciate your advise on the following:-

1. Would we be able to make day trips out to Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch or would it be advisable for us to extend our stay and stay a night in Lucerna or Interlaken. We are keen to go to Mount Pilatus and Jungfraujoch. I understand that interlaken would be a good base to take the train to Jungfraujoch.

2. Since we will be travelling from Zurich to Davos then to Lucerne, Interlaken and back to Zurich, would it be advisable to get a swiss pass or Is driving advisable?

3. Will we be eligible to a guest pass in Davos? I understand that with the guest pass we can travel locally for free. I would appreciate any advise you can give on our travel plans.

Thanks and regards,

Suni

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 November 2014 at 5:41:57 #841280

Hi Suni,

1. Interlaken or any other nearby town would be best for a visit to the Jungfraujoch. You can’t do a trip trip from Davos, see the timetable. Mount Pilatus is also very far from Davos. You’d better focus on attractions near Davos, in the canton of Graubünden.

2. I recommend the trains. Public transport is excellent: safe and comfortable and much less hassle than renting a car and trying to cope with local regulations. Whether a Swiss Travel Pass is best, or any of the other passes, depends on your detailed travel plan. All passes can be found here, and how to pick one is explained here.

3. Yes, you will. Especially the free cable car rides will be worth it. Trains and buses will be covered by your rail pass anyway. More information is here: http://www.davos.ch/en /experience/summer/dav os-klosters-inclusive.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2014 at 6:05:55 #841281

Hi Annika,

Thanks so much for a prompt reply. I will start working on a detailed plan and write to you if I have further queries.

Suni

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2014 at 5:54:08 #841282

Hi Annika,

I have been reading many posts and am concerned that Davos is not really a popular destination. Can you please suggest what we can do while in Davos for 7 days?

Thanks and regards,

Suni

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 November 2014 at 6:45:07 #841283

Hi Suni,

Davos is one of the more popular Winter sports towns in Switzerland. Summer high season is in July and August when people will mostly be hiking and doing other outdoor activities. Some suggestions, apart from the many hiking trails, are day trips to Chur, to Arosa (very nice train ride), to the Upper Engadin (via Filisur) and Lower Engadin (via Klosters and Sagliains). Also Heidiland and the Bernina Express railway are within reach.

There’s plenty to do for weeks, although good weather really helps. More suggestions can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/da vos/activities

• The thread ‘Travel tips for a 7 night stay in Davos’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.