Travel to Chamonix Mt. Blanc

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2013 at 10:49:56 #806070

Hello everyone
    During our many visits to Switzerland we have never visited Mont Blanc. We were intrigued by the special train and funicular journey to get there which I found about a few years back but when I researched it last year it seemed to be undergoing maintenance work so we decided against trying it. I looked it up on sbb again this year but it looks as though they are still using a substitute bus on part of the route which makes it a very long trip time-wise from Thun. Does anyone know when the whole route will finally be back to normal? Should we wait again till next year perhaps? We are not averse to making long trips as we have a Swiss Pass and enjoy the excellent Swiss transport but wonder whether it would be better to wait until the original excursion I was interested in is up and running again. I have plenty of other ideas in mind for our holiday this year (just over 3 weeks before we fly out so anticipation is mounting) so it is not a “must-do” as I am sure we will be back again in 2014!
    Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 June 2013 at 13:22:42 #838945

Hi Maggie! As far as I know the construction works on this route will take place all summer. The route is still doable though. Traveling times from Le Châtelard to Chamonix-Mont Blanc are about 1h45, and the replacement bus is displayed in the SBB timetable. Please find more information in this topic. If you like to do the regular Mont Blanc Express route, you can easily wait for 2014 though. By the way, it’s great that you already know for sure you’ll return next year. I hope you enjoy your next holidays as much as the previous ones. Have a great time! And if you have time, a trip report at the forum after your return would be very welcome.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2013 at 14:37:27 #838946

Thanks Annika, I found the relevant times in the SBB timetable which included the replacement bus times which is how I realised it will be a long trip. It has just occurred to me that it might even be worth doing the trip this year using the bus and then again next year using the normal route as the two might be distinctly different experiences! It’s worth considering anyway as a possibility. We usually go armed with loads of plans for all kinds of weather situations then decide exactly what to do the night before after checking the weather forecasts on the internet. Part of the fun is making these last minute decisions and we have found all sorts of interesting places due to these sudden decisions like finding the fascinating Axalp carving trail purely because the planned trip up Brienzer Rothorn couldn’t happen due to a rockslide blocking the route on the day we planned to go! As to next year it will be difficult to stop us making regular trips to Switzerland now we are so in love with the country and all it has to offer! I will indeed send a report after our return.
    Maggie

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 June 2013 at 0:36:29 #838947

You definitely know how to plan Maggie! I’m looking forward to your report. Have fun!

• The thread ‘Travel to Chamonix Mt. Blanc’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.