Travel to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2013 at 23:39:27 #806043

Hi,

We are a family of 6 who are planning a trip to Switzerland in the 1st week of July.Would appreciate if you could answer a few of my queries .

WE are planning to stay 1nt in Zurich & then we plan to stay for 4nts in Lucerne making it our base.
    1. we definitely plan to see Jungfrau
    2. From Mt.Pilatus , Titlis & Rigi which is a better option?
    3. Apart from mountains & Interlaken what other day trips can we take?
    4.Can we do Jungfrau & Wengen on the same day?
    5. Would going to Wengen on a day trip be a good idea?
    6. Would going to the chocolate factory in Broc for a day trip be a good idea?
    7. Would it be cheaper to hire a car to go around rather than the swiss pass?
    8.Would it also be more convinient to hire a car or no where travel time , parking etc is concerned?
    We would like to do as many things as possible.I know we may be short of days but this is all we can manage.
    Would appreciate if you could answer all my queries in detail so that it would give us a clear idea.
    Thankyou & really appreciate your help.Please reply ASAP.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    30 May 2013 at 13:14:51 #838843

Welcome amogh. Here are some answers:

2. Personally, I like them all. The Pilatus requires the shortest trip from Lucerne. The Rigi would be entirely for free if you get yourself a Swiss (Flexi) Pass and can easily be combined with a great boat trip over Lake Lucerne;
    3. Here‘s a list of day trips to be made in and near Interlaken. Please browse the forum for further tips, including the Lucerne region;
    4. and 5. Yes, you can easily combine the Jungfraujoch and Wengen. In that case you can best get up via Grindelwald, and return via Wengen. You can get out there and stroll around the town;
    6. That’s nice, but it’s a long trip from Lucerne. Please consult the timetable to find details about this trip, as well as all other trips you may want to make. The Lucerne and Interlaken regions have more than enough to offer for a 5 or 6 day stay.
    7. and 8. Car hire can be rather expensive, and it’s not necessarily more convenient than public transportation. Many viewing points and towns can’t be reached by car, so you’ll depend on public transportation anyway. Switzerland has an excellent train, bus and mountain transportation system that you’ll definitely enjoy. Costs can be limited by picking the right rail pass. I suggest you look into the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2013 at 1:35:38 #838844

Hi Annika
    Thankyou for the prompt reply.The information provided by you has really been useful.But would like to trouble you further.
    1.As informed by you Junfrau & Wengen can be done on the same day but would it be too long a trip cause I believe it takes 4.5hrs o/w from Lucerne to Jungrau?
    2. You havent mentioned anything about Titlis & if it is easily accessible from Lucerne.
    3.The chocolate factory, can you suggest if it is worth making the trip.I have a 11yr old son, would it be of interest to him?

4.Which would be better the Swiss flexi or consecutive pass ?The flexi pass has to be activated everyday we start travelling?which pass has more advantages?I am aware that the consecutive pass is available for 4/8 days & we are okay with taking the 8day pass also.
    Thanks a lot for the information & hope to hear from you soon.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2013 at 1:37:39 #838845

Oh Annika just one more thing we have decided not to spend a night in Zurich but maybe spend 5nts in Lucerene.Any suggestions?

Thankyou again:-)

Annika
    7121 posts
    2 June 2013 at 8:55:46 #838846

Hello amogh!

1) It’s no problem to get out in Wengen and (shortly) explore the town. It all depends on how early or late you want to get back to Lucerne.
    2) All trips, incluse those to the Titlis, can be planned with the aid of the timetable I mentioned. Just enter ‘Kleintitlis’ as your destination.

3) I suggest you check the chocolate factory website and then decide whether it’s worth the trip for you. An alternative somehwat closer to Lucerne, bit still quite far off, would be Shoggiland in Flawil. There are also daily chocolate shows in Hotel Schuh Interlaken.
    4) If you like the freedom of traveling wherever you want during all days of your stay, the 8 day Swiss Saver Pass would be by far the most comfortable solution. The Swiss Saver Flexi Pass requires you to write down the dates of your free travel days or have the pass stamped at a railway station before you board the first train, bus or boat that day. You’ll also have to buy additional buy 50% discounted tickets on the non-free travel days. You can compare both passes in detail by studying the Swiss Pass and Swiss Flexi Pass pages.
    5) I’m not quite sure what kind of suggestions you’re looking for concerning your stay in Lucerne. If you’re searching for hotels: they can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2013 at 15:07:48 #838847

Hi Amogh,

Your plan is very impressive. I love to do next time. Wengen and Mürren are car free towns. Apart from that if you have interest, check the following without fail. Your family would enjoy, if you add Trummelbuch falls, Stechelberg Gondola ride, bachalpsee
    1.Visit to Lauterbrunnen
    2.Day trip to Trummelbuch falls on the way from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg
    3.Gondola ride from Stechelberg to Mürren + Gimmelwald. This ride is vertical and very scenic. Personally i recommend this deadly beauty
    If you all love and wish to do easy hiking trail, you just think of bachalpsee. very very fantastic place
    4.Gondola ride from Grindelwald to First
    5.Easy Hiking trail First – Bachalpsee – First
    Best wishes
    dhivya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 0:21:04 #838848

Hi Dhivya,
    Wow! Thats a lot of information on what more to do .Just wanted to clarify few things.

1.As mentioned we will be staying in Lucerne so how do we do this Gondola trip from there ,can you give me the details & how long would the whole trip take.

Thanks for the additional information

Amogh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 0:37:32 #838849

Hi Annika,
    Sorry but would like to trouble you further.

Am a little confused at this point about certain things.Please advise.

1.As mentioned earlier we have decided to make our base in Lucerne & do all our trips from there & let me give you the reason for that:
    a). We would like to avoid wasting time checking in & checking out of hotels & packing , unpacking & also have heard that Interlaken can be quite a dead place in the evening .

Now to get to the point that, is that a wise decision or do you think that we should stay 3nts in Lucerne & 2nts in Interlaken.:(

2. How would the weather be in the first week of july (a bit too late i know to ask);-)

3.We are looking at Hotel Baslertor Summer Pool for our stay in Lucerne , any clues on how the hotel is & if it is centrally located?(we are looking for a basic CLEAN hotel which is preferably centrally located & thats our only priority)

4.We were suggested the Gondola ride from Stechelberg to Murren , do you think it is feasible to do from Lucerne?

Hopefully this the last of my queries & troubling you.But thanks a lot for you have been of great help.:-)

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 June 2013 at 1:53:05 #838850

Hi amogh,

1) & 3) Your decision makes sense. Lucerne is centrally located and a really nice town. We have a page with good hotels in Lucerne, so you best take a look at those. The Baslertor Summer Pool Hotel is not listed there but it’s also located very well: at walking distance of the rail station and town center.

2) Well, generally it’s nice and warm (25 C) summer weather, but of course it can vary greatly so it might as well be cold and rainy. Right now it’s quite cold but it’s impossible to say if that’s going to change. You’d best check the forecast a couple of days ahead of time.

4) It’s a long trip from Lucerne (see the timetable link Annika gave you). You can combine it with your visit to the Jungfrau (go to the Jungfrau first, then to Lauterbrunnen, take a bus to Stechelberg from there).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 23:10:56 #838851
    • hi amogh

what arno said is right. as mentioned you can do while you visit jungfraujoch on one fine sunny day.

• while you return from jungfrau, just get down in lauterbrunnen train station. from there you can take a post bus to stechelberg and that costs around CHF 4. from stechelberg take a gondola ride namely schilthonbahn to murren and that cost around CHF 10.20…

lauterbrunnen is a village of 72 waterfalls on the way to stechelberg you will come across Trummelbuch falls stopping. entrance ticket i am not sure about the cost

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2013 at 8:14:13 #838852

Hi Arno,
    Thanks for the information. I think I’ve exhausted my questions for now.

Will surely get back if I need any more information.

You & Annika have been of great help.

Thanks once again

Amogh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2013 at 4:16:30 #838853

Hi Amogh
    I have sent you a private message. Check your myswissalp Inbox.
    dhivya

• The thread ‘Travel to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.