Travel to Lucerne or Interlaken in late October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2015 at 21:03:58 #807891

Hi every one

really need a help. I am planning to visit Switzerland for 23 October 2015 till 27 Octobe with my husband and 2 kids one is 4 years and second is 1 year.

my questions is

I want to visit the

1- mount rigi

2- mount pilatus or Stanserhorn cabrio

3- jungfrau

4-lake thun and lake Lucern

Could I visit all the places in just 4 days.

And

should I stay in interlaken or Lucern which one will suits to us for visit all the best points of Switzerland. and plz do inform m the weather forecast of all the points for late October thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    7 September 2015 at 13:35:08 #845964

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Araizrayan!

Yes, you’ll certainly be able to do these activities in 4 days. Both Lucerne and Interlaken are good base towns for your plans. Lucerne is better for Rigi, Pilatus and Stanserhorn, Interlaken is for the Jungfraujoch and Lake Thun/Lake Brienz. You can check traveling times using the timetable. For late October, Lucerne might be slightly better in all, as it’s a larger town and offers some more indoor/bad weather alternatives.

Reliable forecasts will only be available a couple of days in advance. Generally, it will be quite cold at mountain tops and autumn snow will have set in at higher altitudes. Snow down in the valleys isn’t very likely yet. More information on weather, forecasts and how to dress is available at http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2015 at 10:11:44 #845965

Thanks for ur reply yes plz send m weather forecast for mount rigi mount pilatus and stanserhorn cabrio. Coz I m traveling with my kids. wearher forecast about max and minimum temperature. Rain and fog chances. secondly could it possible visit mount rigi and Stanserhorn cabrio in one day.And if I will stay in Lucern could I take bernina express.And is it wise choice to visit mountain top during end october. if not plz suggest m other choices which are extremely scenic regards

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 September 2015 at 10:39:24 #845966

Hi Araizrayan,

All about the weather and links to statistics can be found here: myswissalps.com/ aboutswitzerland/ nature.

You can visit Mount Rigi and the Stanserhorn in one day if you start early. Late October is fine for mountain top visits. It’s the weather of the day that makes or breaks the options. Watch the weather forecast on the evening before, and then finalize your plans for the next day. The Bernina Express is too far away from Lucerne. You can find details about it here.

Can you please not use the “text talk” on our forum, it’s very hard to read. Please see our forum rules. Thanks a lot!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2015 at 15:10:05 #845967

Thanks for your’s fast reply

I have seen videos of gimmelwald village. its really amazing. I just want to ask if it is possible to visit gimmelwald for one day with kids. to access gimmelwald from interlaken would be easy for us

plz guide m I really want to vist that place

regards

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 September 2015 at 17:20:01 #845968

Hi Araizrayan,

Gimmelwald can be reached easily from Interlaken, in less than an hour (see the timetable). It’s a beautiful place indeed, but so are lots of other places in the area. It’s car free, so very quiet and peaceful. Other than hiking, there’s not much to do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2015 at 18:09:20 #845969

So it’s mean we can easily visit the gimmelwald with 2 small kids.

as u mention above its very quite and there many more interesting places. So plz do let me know other interesting and scenic places because I have no idea about that places

regards

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 September 2015 at 5:22:14 #845970

Hello Araizrayan,

Nearly the whole region is scenic. Schynige Platte is wonderful (the train runs through October 25). The easy hike from Grütschalp to Mürren is very nice as well. If you take a look at the links Annika gave you, plus the pages about Lake Lucerne and the Bernese Oberland, you can find lots of suggestions and see what attracts you most. Do check opening hours as you’re traveling in low season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2015 at 8:39:40 #845971

Hi Arno

thanks for this information. Schynige platte looks amazing. But plz tell m the price if I have Swiss railway pass. Because here is nothing mention about the price with Swiss railway pass. Is it free with Swiss pass

regards

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 September 2015 at 9:20:22 #845972

Hi Araizrayan,

It is amazing indeed. You can do some hiking there if there’s no snow. Please see here. You will get a 50% discount on the regular price of CHF 64 per person. All discounts of the pass can be found here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

Please note that the pass is called Swiss Travel Pass. This prevents confusion when buying tickets in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2015 at 9:34:55 #845973

Arno I really appreciate for your concern.

sorry yes this is Swiss travel pass

so with this pass the cost is chf 64.

plz let m know what about golden pass panoramic. Which one is mores beautiful either schynige platte or golden pass panoramic. And the cost of golden pass panoramic with Swiss travel pass.

regards

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 September 2015 at 10:14:49 #845974

You’re welcome Araizrayan!

These are totally different excursions; a train ride version a mountain top. See our Golden Pass page for details and pictures. It’s up to you to decide which one you like best. Of course any mountain top visit is weather dependent, so it’s good to have alternatives in mind anyway. As you can see on the page I gave you in my previous post, the Golden Pass is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2015 at 11:01:56 #845975

Thanks to Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2015 at 16:15:53 #845976

Hello Arno and Annika. Hope u r doing good.

I just want to know about mount pilatus visit. Plz do let m know the price of mount pilatus by silver round trip. How it will cost with Swiss travel pass.i checked all the site bus can’t find the price of silver round trip with Swiss travel pass.

Secondly I also checked the timetable here they mentioned they will close the cable cars due to maintenance from 18th October to 6th November. coz my plan is 23rd October onward. In this case how can I come to kriens from mount pilatus. Is there any alternate option. And if they have any alternate option then how much they will charge for silver round trip with Swiss travel pass.

Regards

Annika
    7103 posts
    15 September 2015 at 15:44:38 #845977

Hello Araizrayan,

You’re right, the cable car Pilatus-Kriens is closed during your stay, so all you can do is travel up and down from and to Alpnachstad. This is a spectacular cog train ride though, and enjoying this twice isn’t bad at all. You could combine it with a boat ride over Lake Lucerne.

This means that you can’t do the so-called Silver Roundtrip. With a Swiss Travel Pass, the train ride Lucerne-Alpnachstad is for free. The leg Alpnachstad-Pilatus is discounted by 50%. Prices can be checked at the Pilatus page; a link is listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/tickets under “More information”. Also, please check http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2015 at 0:01:25 #845978

Hi

thanks for your guidance.

we are want to buy Swiss travel pass for 5 days but have checked there is only 3,4 8 and 15 days options are available. so now what can we do. because our tour is for 5 days. Is it possible to buy 5 days Swiss travel pass

regards

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 September 2015 at 4:21:13 #845979

Hi Araizrayan,

There is no 5-day Swiss Travel Pass, so you can either buy the 8-day pass, or you buy regular tickets for day 1 or day 5.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2015 at 2:18:44 #845980

Hi arno

now I have confirmed hotels booking and Swiss travel pass .

as I asked u before for mount pilatus u told me that we can go to pilatus and come from pilatus through Alpnachstad. So with Swiss travel pass Alpnachstad to pilatus is 50% off. So when we will come back to Alpnachstad from pilatus then the cost will be. Either it is free with Swiss travel or we have to pay for this also

plz do let m know because it is really confusing

regards

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 September 2015 at 6:18:53 #845981

Hi Araizrayan,

You will get a 50% discount on a return ticket Alpnachstad – Pilatus, so that includes the ride back down.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2015 at 12:23:07 #845982

Hello Arno and Annika

my flight is on 19th October to Venice and then Zurich on 23rd October and back to DUBAI 30th October.

i have applied for visa and waiting for confirmation.i want to buy 8 days Swiss travel pass from yours gcc rail Europe website . Actually my concern is I could not buy Swiss travel pass before visa confirmation. Then would you tell m how many days they will take exactly to deliver my pass at my place.

regards

Annika
    7103 posts
    5 October 2015 at 13:07:10 #845983

Hi Araizrayan,

Delivery to the UAE takes 4 days. You can also collect it in Deira 2 days after you placed your order. That will save you the shipping free. Please see http://www.raileurope-gcc.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-82 for all the details.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The thread ‘Travel to Lucerne or Interlaken in late October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.