Train route Zurich, Zug, Grindelwald, Paudex

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 12:38:14 #809242

Hello,

Me and my husband travelling Switzerland from 26th june to 4th july.

We will be reach on 26th morning at zurich:

We are staying in zug

• 26 – 29 June, Zug
    • 29 June – 2 july, grindelwald
    • 2 to 4 July Paudex

We will there for 8 nights in Switzerland and So we are lil confused in how to travel Zurich – zug – Grindelwald- Paudex?

1) As per i know there are direct train from Zurich airport to zug.

2) For Zug to Grindelwald, we have to travel luzern 1st and then luzern to interlaken and then interlaken to grindelwald. Can we travel luzern to interlaken by golden pass route ? and for Grindelwald- Paudex route, I am thinking same golden pass route interlaken- montreux via zweisimmen will be continue. What do you think? or there are another option.

3) we will have Swiss travel pass for 8 days ,so is travelling from luzern – Interlaken – montreux via zweisimmen by golden pass included in Swiss pass? And reservation is compulsory ??

4) And About Swiss pass can we buy Swiss pass directly from Zurich airport or shall we order it online now? what would you suggest about it.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    18 May 2016 at 13:14:57 #852241

Hi swapnajoshi, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ve selected interesting towns to stay in. Zug and Paudex are not on the top of the list of most tourists, but these areas are wonderful. You mentioned the Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Pass. I will assume you mean the Swiss Travel Pass, as the Swiss Pass is for Swiss citizens only.

1) 2) You can find all trains in the timetable. The Golden Pass page explains all about that route. When traveling to Paudex you can follow to entire Golden Pass route from Lucerne to Montreux, and then continue to Paudex.

3) Reservations are not compulsory. Please see the Golden Pass page I just referred to.

4) You can buy it in the airport, but buying it online and printing it at home is easier and quicker. All options are listed here. The easiest way to get the pass is to go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of that list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) within 1-3 business days so you can print it at home.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 May 2016 at 23:40:40 #852242

Hi swapnajoshi-

Also, look at a map:

map.search.ch/

in addition to the timetable.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 16:43:09 #852243

Thanks Arno and Slowpoke for very useful info.

Arno, as you told no need to reserve seats, so donnt we need to worry about not getting seats or train will be full or not being able to get on?? will it be happen ??

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 May 2016 at 17:10:43 #852244

There are always seatas on swiss trains with no reservations required, with th epossible exception of rush hour commuter trains for the big cities.

I”ve traveled in Switzeland by train since 1980, and have never, ever used reservations, and never ever could not find seats. One time, at outbound commuter rush hour from Bern To Burgdorf, i had to walk through a lot of cars to find one, at5PM.

Carry small suitcases; if you have big ones, you will save your self some work and possibly, a sore back, if you send them ahead:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage.html

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Train route Zurich, Zug, Grindelwald, Paudex’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.