Traveling by train from CDG airport to Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2016 at 20:39:10 #808277

We are landing at CDG in May. We want to take a train to Montreux that day. Is there a best train or route to do this?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 January 2016 at 21:12:23 #847704

<<“We are landing at CDG in May. We want to take a train to Montreux that day. Is there a best train or route to do this?”>>

Take a look at the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I am uncertain about the connections near Paris, so I can’t comment beyond what is is in the time table. Let us know if that does not answer your question.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 January 2016 at 19:00:13 #847705

Hi Annemansura!

It makes most sense to travel via Geneva. Apart from the timetable that’s been mentioned, this page may be of help too: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2016 at 19:44:18 #847706

<<“It makes most sense to travel via Geneva. Apart from the timetable that’s been mentioned, this page may be of help too:”>>

Hi Annika –

In the timetable, the RER connection to the main lines (Paris Nord RER to Paris Gare de Lyon)

shows a “Transfer” of 55 minutes.

The map shows a red line for that segment.

What does that mean? Walk? Taxi? Shuttle Bus?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 January 2016 at 7:17:59 #847707

Hi Slowpoke,

That means it assumes a 55 minute transfer time from one station to the other without suggesting the mode of transport. The metro is the default way to get around. I guess a taxi may work as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 January 2016 at 9:58:15 #847708

Hi Arno –

Thanks.

<<“That means it assumes a 55 minute transfer time from one station to the other without suggesting the mode of transport. The metro is the defaultway to get around. I guess a taxi may work as well.”>>

With luggage…….?

Arno –

I reviewed some old conversations (had in 2013 and 2014) in a General Travel forum to which I belong about connecting from CDG to various train stations in Paris. Mostly focused on “Nord” and “Est”…not Gare de Lyon. I hope they are not relevant. 😉

A member of that forum who lives in Paris offered extensive comments about time and expense for various station-to-station connections in Paris. Complex and difficult with luggage.

I cannot relate them specifically to the journey being discussed here, nor do I know how best to get more information. With luck, the proposed journey ( CDG to Geneva ) can avoid complications in Paris

Some selected quotes –

<<“The Gares du Nord and de l’Est are actually very closetogether and (theoretically, at least) are a walkable distance apart. Whatmakes that kind of a no-go with luggage is that part of that walk includes along flight of steps.”>>

<<“I concur that you probably want to avoid the RER option. Taking luggage on the RER isn’t the best option, especially if you’ll have a lot of luggage,…..”>>.<<“Taxi is an expensive option. Figure on 50€, though if traffic isn’t too bad, you could get lucky. Time can be anywhere from about half an hour to an hour or more, depending on traffic, weather, strikes, etc. But you can’t beat it for direct service and someone to handle your bags.”>>

That related to CDG to Gare de l’Est.

I really don’t understand what all that means, or how it relates to Annemansura’s journey, but I suggest that Annemansura (or someone) might spend some time figuring out the various ways to get from CDG to Paris Gare-de-Lyon. I hope it is easy, and that I am making a mountain out of a mole hill. I’m just saying what I would do , personally. Perhaps you know how to do that?

One of the things that makes travel in Switzerland a delight is how well the train (or bus at Basel) connections work from the airports. Even in Zürich, with many legacy peripheral stations, it is easy. A great deal of thought and effort has gone into connecting all the parts of the Swiss rail network.

One of the few remaining gaps in the Swiss network(in Geneva, from intra Swiss and some French trains to Lyon and Paris at Station Cornavin) onward to the station for trains southwards to south eastern France ( Station Lancy ??) is now being filled…freight traffic has been possible; a passenger train connection will be available in the future.)

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 January 2016 at 10:35:39 #847709

Hi Slowpoke,

I can’t provide many details about Paris public transport, but indeed Gare du Nord and Gare de l’Est are very close together (walking distance). Specifically for CDG to Gare de Lyon: that should not be complex as there’s a direct shuttle service: en.lescarsairfrance.co m/lignes-horaires/ligne-cdg-aeroport-paris-gare-montparnasse.html.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 January 2016 at 10:41:07 #847710

<<“as there’s a direct shuttle service: en.lescarsairfrance.co m/lignes-horaires/ligne-cdg-aeroport-paris-gare-montparnasse.html.">>

That looks like the answer!

Thanks,

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Traveling by train from CDG airport to Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.