Traveling from Lyon to Interlaken with a Europass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2015 at 12:22:06 #807039

I am traveling from Lyon to Interlaken and I bought a Europass and am running into all kinds of problems. Because I just received the pass and we leave in 4 days I am unable to make reservations to take the train from Lyon into Switzerland. Is my Europass good to go from Lyon to Interlaken without extra cost and without making any reservations? Also what is the Point to Point ticket and how do I get one and return my Europass? All we want to do is get to Interlaken from Lyon and stay there for a 2 days and back. I was talked into a Europass. Please help me!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 April 2015 at 5:51:45 #842259

Hi lynaeflygare,

Welcome to our website! I wouldn’t have recommended a Eurail Pass for your plans, but now that you have one I’m sure we’ll find a way to make the best of it. Here’s a map to check what’s included for free and discounted. Lyon to Interlaken is free, apart from seat reservations in case you travel with trains that require them. Swiss trains do not require them, French high speed trains do. Please see here and here for details.

You don’t need point to point tickets to go to Interlaken, because you have a pass. All you possibly need is seat reservations for the French leg from Lyon to Geneva. Since this is all last-minute you may want to go to the nearest rail station and get them there, instead of figuring this out online.

You do need point to point tickets if you want to travel on routes which are not free, into the Jungfrau region for example. In that case you show your pass at the ticket window to get a 25% discount on these tickets. Some other routes will provide a 50% discount. The boats from Interlaken onto the lake are free with your pass.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2015 at 8:13:41 #842260

Thank you so much for your help on this matter, really appreciate and it is very informative.

Thanks

Lynae

• The thread ‘Traveling from Lyon to Interlaken with a Europass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.