Traveling in Switzerland for 4 days by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2015 at 19:03:09 #807855

Hello, I am traveling in switzerland for 4 days and had a few questions about feasability and how to get to certain areas, rail passes etc…

I am renting a car so would like to avoid buying rail passes if needed

I will be flying in Zurich saturday 9/12 am – My first trip will be to the 5 lake hike to see wildsee and then staying in zurich that night

Sunday – I plan on going to Pilatus, Jungfrau and Nieseen – will I need a rail pass to get up all three of these mountains? If so does switzerland sell a day pass that will allow me to visit all three of these mountains?

Monday – I will be doing lac de moiry and staying at the bottom of zermatt

Tuesday – Arnesee lake and castles around there followed by geneva at night

Any help is appreciated

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 September 2015 at 17:54:02 #845829

Hi mattowen0316,

Welcome and thanks for your first post! Without a rail pass the excursions you mentioned will be quite expensive. There’s no one day pass. I would recommend a Swiss Half Fare Card. It provides a 50% discount on nearly all trips, which saves you around CHF 100 on the Jungfraujoch ride alone. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard for further details, and retailers.

By the way, visiting 3 mountains in 3 different areas in one day is too much. I would spread that across 2 or 2 days. Just the Jungfraujoch trip takes a day if you take your time, do the round trip and some sightseeing/hiking along the way. It can be done in half a day if you start very early and skip the sightseeing.

These pages might be helpful for you as well:

Lac de Moiry is near Grimentz, at least 1.5 hours from Täsch near Zermatt.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2015 at 18:34:38 #845830

Arno

Thank you so much – I believe we will spread the mountains out into two days per your suggestion

I was looking online and noticed the below prices do they seem correct

Pilatus – 74 roundtrip

Nieseen – 55 roundtrip

Jungfrau – 204 round trip

If i buy the half price swiss fare card I would be paying the 120 for the card then half off at each mountain is that correct?

Thank you

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 September 2015 at 5:39:24 #845831

Hi mattow0316,

The prices seem fine to me. Indeed you’d pay only 50% of that with a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can buy the card for less than CHF 120 through http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-half-fare-card, but delivery it takes up to 8 business days so that’s a bit tricky in your case. You can also buy it through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and print it at home. Don’t wait too long as they need up to 3 business days to process and e-mail the card. Having it in hand save you time: no need to go to a rail station to buy one. You can show it to the ticket office of your first cable car and get the discount. Further purchase options are listed here.

• The thread ‘Traveling in Switzerland for 4 days by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.