Travelling alone – need help on the itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2012 at 20:52:04 #805461

Hi! I will be travelling alone to switzerland on mid september and appreciate any advice regarding itinerary and best pass to buy. below is my draft itinerary;

day 1 08:00 arrive in zurich airport
    take the train from zurich to bern
    11:00-16:00 sightseeing in bern
    16:00 travel from bern to lauterbrunnen (base for 2 nights)
    day 2 and 3 bernese oberland tour (schilthorn mountain, jungfraujoch,trummelbach,murren,spiez,etc)
    day 3 16:00 train from lauterbrunnen to basel
    day 4-6 workshop on basel ( business related but i guess i can still see the sights in basel)
    day 7: trip to lucerne,mt pilatus and then back to basel
    day 8: basel to zurich
    zurich tour and then leave at 11am

since i am only travelling on day 1-3,7-8, i am thinking of getting 5 day swiss flexi pass. is this the best value pass for me?
    my day 2 and 3 itinerary is still jumbled up. any ideal tour combination to suggest for two days?
    thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 July 2012 at 5:17:59 #836687

Welcome to the forum ashbaby. The 5 day Swiss Flexi Pass sounds like a good choice indeed. If you need public transportation in Basel on day 4-6, that will also be discounted by 50%. As for day 2 and 3 of your itinerary: you don’t necessarily have to cover both the Schilthorn and the Jungfraujoch. They’re both stunning in their own way, but I think visiting one of them will be fine too, especially if weather isn’t that good. If you want to do both, you should combine the Schilthorn, Mürren and the Trümmelbach falls on one day, and the Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen and Grindelwald on the other day. Spiez can well be combined with a boat ride over lake Thun. This can be an afternoon activity after a visit to Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch.

Have you considered staying in Lucerne instead of Basel on day 7/8? It will save you from traveling back and forth between Basel and Lucerne. Traveling times from Basel to Zurich and from Lucerne to Zurich are pretty much the same. In case you still need hotels: these lists for Bern, Basel, Lucerne and other towns may be of help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2012 at 5:02:33 #836688

thanks for the reply! it was very helpful!
    ill consider your recommendations. 🙂

• The thread ‘Travelling alone – need help on the itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.