Travelling around in February, based in Wilderswil

• Jayjay
    Participant
    15 posts
    12 September 2015 at 6:57:09 #807923

Hi,

I’m a regular traveller to Wengen during the summer, but would like some advice on the best tickets to buy for a short break in February. I will be flying into Basel and taking the bus from the airport to the train station in order to travel through to Wilderswil. Presumably I need to buy the Swiss Transfer Ticket prior to my departure from the UK. Will this ticket cover the cost of travel on the bus as well? When I’m there I will be staying for 4 nights and want to hike and generally use the trains, cable cars etc to soak up the atmosphere. Am I right in thinking that to do this I will need to purchase a 3 day hiking and sledging pass? Does this then cover all modes of transport and can it be purchased in resort or would you recommend buying it prior to departure? Thanks for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7094 posts
    12 September 2015 at 17:18:24 #846084

Hello jayjay!

Regular train tickets Basel-Wilderswil-Basel are slightly cheaper than the Swiss Transfer Ticket (here‘s how to calculate). If you don’t mind a small price difference, the Swiss Transfer Ticket is more convenient as it allows you to arrange for it online and start traveling right after your arrival in Basel, without having to buy tickets first.

If you want to use local public transportation, the 3 day Hiking and Sledging Pass is a good choice. It’s only valid in the Jungfrau region, but if that’s your main focus that’s fine. If you like to explore a somewhat larger area, the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi could be an alternative.

If you order a Hiking and Sledging Pass online, you can either have it sent by mail for CHF 5.- or pick it up for free at a local railway station. You can purchase this pass on the spot as well.

Jayjay
    Participant
    15 posts
    12 September 2015 at 17:34:59 #846085

Thanks Annika, that’s really helpful. The transfer ticket covers the bus journey as well then?

Jayjay

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 September 2015 at 18:00:04 #846086

Yes, the bus from Basel airport to the rail station is included.

• The thread ‘Travelling around in February, based in Wilderswil’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.