Travelling between Interlaken and Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2015 at 14:39:33 #808156

Hi I’m Travelling from Paris to Interlaken and would be staying from 24-25 May 2016 ; 2 nights at Interlaken as I wish to visit schillitorn and jungfraujoch and explore the area probably do some hiking around the lauterbrunnen valley.

From Interlaken I am Travelling to Milan via either Lucerne or Zurich.I would be staying one night; 26 May in either Lucerne or Zurich. I plan to take the bernina express train.

Kindly advice if I should stay in Lucerne or Zurich?

Also should I get a Swiss pass or a halfcard.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 November 2015 at 0:29:23 #847109

Hi Prisca –

Welcome to the forum.

I’ll not answer all your questions, but I have some comments: Perhaps Arno and Annika can follow up.

Late May is the tail end of the Winter season in alpine areas such as the Jungfrau region. Many hotels and travel services are closed for between season break or maintenance. Trails above 2000 meters may be blocked by snow, the LBValley floor is likely to be OK.

By June 15, things begin to open up. If it is a warm winter with light snow, late May or early June find things may be more active/accessible.

Check the time table carefully, and make sure that you have hotel reservations.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The timetable can also help you plan the later part of your journey.

It will be a long trip to access the Bernina express. The most direct route is from Interlaken and Spiez, to Brig, then south through Domodossola – 3 1/2 or 4 hours.

Via Luzern takes it up to 6 hours.

If you choose to go via Tirano, on the Bernina Express, plan on 13 to 17 Hours.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2015 at 6:01:51 #847110

Hi slowpoke

thanks for the reply 🙂 may I check if I plan to go to zermatt to see the Matterhorn would the dates above be feasible? Or would you suggest me to stick to my current plan. Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 November 2015 at 7:43:36 #847111

<<“thanks for the reply 🙂 may I check if I plan to go to zermatt to see the Matterhorn would the dates above be feasible? Or would you suggest me to stick to my current plan. Thanks”>>

I’m not sure what date/how you would like to go to Zermatt.

I do not advise sticking to your current plan, which, as I note, will take 13 to 17 hours from Interlaken to Milano via St. Moritz and Tirano.

Take a look at the timetable linked in my first post and try out your travel ideas to see how much time they would take.

This map may help you visualize the possible journeys:

map.search.ch/

Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘Travelling between Interlaken and Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.