Travelling from Lucern to Zematt and Brig

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2016 at 10:06:01 #810244

Hi, We are arriving in Lucerne on the 24th December and plan to travel around for a few days. We wanted to travel from Lucerne to Zematt for the day and then back to Brig to stay for the night before catching the Glacier Express to St Moritz. Is this plan possible and if so what would be the best way to travel? We will have travel passes. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    18 October 2016 at 8:43:52 #856614

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Figold!

Sure, that’s perfectly possible. If you don’t mind spending a bit more time on train traveling during your transfer from Lucerne to Zermatt, I’d advise to use the regional Lötschberger Regio-Express (enter Goppenstein as a via-station in the timetable to see those connections) rather than the default quick tunnel connection. The regional train ride is slower, but very scenic and a pretty alternative to the tunnel, especially if weather is clear that day. You might just as well spend the night in Zermatt rather than in Brig, as the Glacier Express starts off in Zermatt anyway. But you may have specific reasons to opt for Brig.

I’m not sure which travel passes you’ll be using, but if it’s the Swiss Travel Pass, the entire journey you described will be covered. All you need are additional seat reservations for the Glacier Express. I recommend you start arranging for them by now, as I expect the Glacier Express trains to be fully booked during the holdiays.

Here are some more links that may be helpful:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2016 at 10:46:13 #856615

Thank you so much. We planned to go back to Brig as I had heard that accommodation is very expensive in Zermatt.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 October 2016 at 12:47:10 #856616

Hi Figold,

On average it’s indeed pretty expensive. There are budget hotels as well, although you are traveling during the most popular week of the year so that influences prices. You’d better have a look at the pages Annika gave you to compare your options. Staying in Zermatt would be very nice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2016 at 7:06:04 #856617

Thank you

• The thread ‘Travelling from Lucern to Zematt and Brig’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.