Travelling to Switzerland for the First Time

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2010 at 6:46:23 #803953

Hi everyone,
    I have seen this website and it is interesting that I can get valuable advises.

I will travel to Switzerland with my wife. My stay is (starting from 4th-Septemper-2010):
    Zurich- 2 nights, Interlaken 3 nights, Lausanne 2 nights, Geneva 3 nights, Paris 5 nights.
    I would like to use the Public transportation. should I buy the Swiss Saver Pass? where can I take it from? (airport)??? what about the Swiss Card? how can I go from the airport to Zurich ? is the weather going to be cold or moderate?

I have many other questions but thy will come by time.

Thanks and I appreciate your help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    29 July 2010 at 7:31:15 #831678

Hello saihati! A Swiss Saver Pass may indeed be a good choice for you. You could choose from either the 8 day variant (which wouldn’t cover the first or last day(s) of you stay, which wouldn’t be a problem if you don’t intend to travel a lot in either Zurich or Geneva) or the 15 day variant, which would over all of your stay in Switzerland. The Swiss Saver Pass offers great ease of use, as you can simply get on and off trains, boats and buses without having to purchase regular tickets. Only mountain transportation requires the purchase of (discounted) tickets. The Swiss Saver Pass is for sale online: simply follow the instructions under the header ‘Order your Swiss Pass here’ at the Swiss Pass page. It can also be bought at larger railway stations in Switzerland.

If less intensive travelling is involved, the Swiss Half Fare Card may be worth considering. It offers a 50% discount on most trips within Switzerland. I don’t think the Swiss Card is an economical solution for you, as it includes a free roundtrip from an airport or border station to your destination. The Swiss Card is only valid from the first trip from the airport/border station to your destination and up to your last trip to an airport/border station. You seem to arrive at Zurich airport (which counts as an airport/border station) and then stay a couple of days in Zurich. You’ll end up in Geneva (an airport/border station as well) and stay there a few days as well before moving on to Paris. This means that the ‘free roundtrip’ is worth almost nothing in your case, unless you start using the Swiss Card when travelling to Interlaken and have it end with your trip from Lausanne to Geneva. But in this case the Swiss Card wouldn’t be quite worth its money, as the trip from Lausanne to Geneva is relatively short and cheap. So for a 50% discount on almost all trips you’d have to consider the Swiss Half Fare Card. This card is for sale online and at larger railway stations, too.

Information on getting from the Zurich airport to the city centre can be found on our Zurich airport page. All train trips in Switzerland can be planned through the timetable.

As for the weather: it can’t be predicted what the weather will be like in September. It can still be warm and friendly, but an early autumn and low temperatures are possible as well. Be sure to take along different kind of cloths to match with all possible weather circumstances. Warm and water proof gear is important if you want to get up in the mountains and maybe take some hikes. Please review the hiking page as well for more tips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2010 at 7:30:41 #831679

Hi again,

thanks Annika. I have been woking and did not have a chance to reply.

thank you very much for the valuable information.

Can we get the Swiss Saver Pass from the airport!!
    What about going from Geneva to Paris! can we use any swiss transportation?
    thanks very much

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 August 2010 at 14:13:47 #831680

Hello saihati. You can order your Swiss Saver Pass online or buy it at the airport’s railway station. As for your trip from Geneva to Paris: TGV trains run here. You can find more information and book your trip trip at our page on train travel between London/Paris and Switzerland. Good luck!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2010 at 20:35:44 #831681

Hello Annika. the train take off from Geneve CFF and arrive at PARIS GARE LYON. is this the right train for us. TVG Laria. what about the price if I buy it now or at 12 Sept for departure at 14 Sept.
    thanks for your corporation

Annika
    7104 posts
    13 August 2010 at 4:08:23 #831682

Hello Ibrahim Al-Saihati. Yes, the TGV Lyria train between Geneve CFF and Paris Gare de Lyon is the right one. I can’t predict what the prices will be like when booking shortly in advance, but generally prices are lower as you book earlier. Moreover, there may not be enough seats left if you try to book only a few days before departure, so in all it would be best to try booking as early as possible.

• The thread ‘Travelling to Switzerland for the First Time’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.