Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2011 at 2:41:07 #804244

hi
    we are travelling in a group of 6 adults and 3 kids aged 7-11 all<12
    we land at vienna and stay there for 2 days
    fly to paris on 3rd day
    3 nights in paris
    then we travel to swiss(haven’t decided the mean of transport yet)
    7 nights in swiss and then we travel to italy probably rome.
    we have 3 nights in italy and 4 th morning we have a flight back to india
    could you please guide me to which pass(euro rail global, select, 1 country and swiss pass or saver etc) i need to take.
    dates are as follows
    25/05/2011 vienna
    27/05/2011 paris by flight
    30/05/2011 switzerland (to decide how to travel)
    06/05/2011 italy probably rome and
    09/05/2011 depart from venice
    wd appreciate you reply
    regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2011 at 6:04:59 #832650

dear
    in swiss ,we will be travelling to major attractions and sightseeings etc and willbe visiting mt titlis and Jungfrau , zermatt etc..kindly update
    regards
    sunny

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 April 2011 at 13:40:01 #832651

Hello sunny! It seems like you won’t be doing that much train traveling in Austria, Italy and France. Is that correct? If you don’t plan on making long and expensive train journeys from Vienna, Paris and Rome, it would probably be too expensive to by a Eurail pass. Another disadvantage of a Eurail pass is that it offers less discounts on your trips in Switzerland than Swiss rail passes do. So if you want to make short trips in the other countries, purchasing regular train tickets may be the cheapest solution. This topic, which addresses a similar question, may be interesting to you as well.

As for your stay in Switzerland: it’s hard to say which pass is best for you, as that depends on several questions, such as: where will you be staying? Are long and expensive train journeys involved? Do you mind purchasing separate discounted train tickets for each trip and is unlimited traveling important to you? And so on. In fact, only a clear list of plans can help you calculate which pass is best.

Just to give one idea: if you want to enjoy the ease of unlimited traveling, without the need to buy tickets for each single trip, an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass for the adults may be what you’re looking for. The kids will travel along for free with the free STS Family Card that comes along with the Swiss Saver Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2011 at 1:52:14 #832652

dear Annika
    thanks for ur kind reply, it was indeed helpful
    regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2011 at 2:43:49 #832653

Dear Annika
    is it ok if i take 2 country eurail pass i.e. france and italy and take a swiss family saver pass as will be doing a lot of traveling in swiss and will be traveling via train from paris to swiss and swiss to rome and will be having some internal transfers in italy and france.and if i take 2 country pass for italy and france and swiss saver pass, wd it be possible to book a pass ticket from swiss to rome and paris to swiss:kindly help thanx
    regards
    sunny

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 April 2011 at 12:09:13 #832654

Hi sunny. If you have those two passes, all you need to travel from one country to the other is a seat reservation. It can be purchased along with the passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2011 at 12:51:19 #832655

Shd I take it this way…. If I just have paris eurail pass I can book paris swiss pass train and. If I just have italy pass I can travel from geneva to rome and book the rail pass ticket. Kindly update thanks sunny

[quote]Arno said: Hi sunny. If you have those two passes, all you need to travel from one country to the other is a seat reservation. It can be purchased along with the passes.[/quote]

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 April 2011 at 13:55:04 #832656

I’m sorry, I’m not sure what you mean to ask. If you have Eurail passes for France and Italy, and a Swiss Saver Pass for Switzerland, all your traveling is covered by those passes. You don’t need further tickets. All you need is seat reservations in case you choose to travel on trains which require seat reservations. Most trains crossing a border require seat reservations.

• The thread ‘Travelling to vienna-paris-switzerland-italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.