Travelling with 15 year old (s) cheaply from uk

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2012 at 16:57:18 #805445

Hi
    perhaps you can help. I am trying to get to Switzerland cheaply and am awaiting passports so don’t know yet when i can travel. I have friends in both Bern and Geneva. I would like to travel by train but it looks very expensive. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for cheap ways to travel. I am being quoted silly prices by the eurostar site.Once i get to switzerland it looks as if swiss card or flexi pass is the way to go. I am happy driving a left hand drive vehicle around switzerland so hiring could be another way to go but i am not sure of the cost of benzin currently. My son wants to learn french so travelling seems a good way to go.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 July 2012 at 9:32:48 #836655

Hello Twiglet, and welcome here. I think hiring a car is pretty expensive too. I don’t have personal experience with this, but you can ask for quotes from several car rental companies (such as easyCar, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt).

As for train traveling: it’s not cheap indeed, but you’ll save lots of money by choosing the right rail pass. Moreover, some destinations can only be reached by train and public transportation in Switzerland is very convenient. Which pass is best, depends on your exact travel plans. It’s a bit hard to advise on this, as I don’t know what kind of trips you want to make. These guidelines may be a starting point, as well as the rail pass overview; just click on any of the passes to get to a page with more details, a validity map, purchase options and so on. The Swiss timetable is the most reliable source for train connections and prices: enter a trip, choose a connection and click Fare/Buy. (Do mind that half-fare prices are displayed by default. Uncheck this half-fare box to see regular full fare prices).

You may also be interested in further tips for budget holidays.

• The thread ‘Travelling with 15 year old (s) cheaply from uk’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.