Trift Bridge

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2010 at 0:39:11 #804775

I am interested in hiking in the Alps, and I will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 10 days in September. On one of my days there I would like to get to the Trift Suspension Bridge in Gadman from Lauterbrunnen, but I can’t find information on how to get there. I have used the SBB website and it got me part way, but then I got a bit confused with the tranfer to another train then a bus. Please advise. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    28 July 2010 at 8:49:17 #834473

Hello kauaisam,

It’s nice to read that you are interested in one of those very beautiful Swiss suspension bridges!

To reach the Trift bridge from Lauterbrunnen you will have to go by train to Meiringen, by bus to Nessental and from there up (if you like) by cable car.

The Swiss Timetable will give you places and times of departure, of arrival and where to change trains.

Roughly twice every hour you can go by train from Lauterbrunnen to Meiringen and you will have to change trains in Interlaken Ost.
    In Meiringen, just in front of the railway station, take the Postauto in the direction of Gadmen and leave the bus at the stop “Nessental Triftbahn”.
    There you can take the Triftbahn, a rather small cable car, which will take you nearer to the Trift suspension bridge. From the mountain station it will be about a 1 ½ hour hike to reach the bridge.

Maybe you are interested in the following links:
    Hinking tips Bernese Oberland
    Daytrips Bernese Oberland
    Practical hiking tips

I hope this helps and I wish you a very pleasant stay in Lauterbrunnen (and I hope you will enjoy visiting the bridge)!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2010 at 17:15:10 #834474

Thank you Wandermann, will print this out and am looking forward to this place. Would you please give me a total time estimate so I can time my return to Lauterbrunnen on the train? I expect it to be an all day event.

[quote]Wandermann said: Hello kauaisam,

It’s nice to read that you are interested in one of those very beautiful Swiss suspension bridges!

To reach the Trift bridge from Lauterbrunnen you will have to go by train to Meiringen, by bus to Nessental and from there up (if you like) by cable car.

The Swiss Timetable will give you places and times of departure, of arrival and where to change trains.

Roughly twice every hour you can go by train from Lauterbrunnen to Meiringen and you will have to change trains in Interlaken Ost.
    In Meiringen, just in front of the railway station, take the Postauto in the direction of Gadmen and leave the bus at the stop “Nessental Triftbahn”.
    There you can take the Triftbahn, a rather small cable car, which will take you nearer to the Trift suspension bridge. From the mountain station it will be about a 1 ½ hour hike to reach the bridge.

Maybe you are interested in the following links:
    Hinking tips Bernese Oberland
    Daytrips Bernese Oberland
    Practical hiking tips

I hope this helps and I wish you a very pleasant stay in Lauterbrunnen (and I hope you will enjoy visiting the bridge)!
    edited by Wandermann on Jul 28, 2010[/quote]

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    31 July 2010 at 3:55:41 #834475

Hello kauaisam,

Yes, this will be an all day trip and I suggest you leave Lauterbrunnen early. Maybe you have already seen that you can take the postauto in Innertkirchen as well. Just choose the connection that fits best.

Hiking in mountain areas may take longer than indicated on roadsigns, so my guess is you have to plan at least about 4 hours between arriving at and leaving from the mountain station of the Trift Bahn.

I hope this answers your question.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2011 at 4:25:17 #834476

Dear Moderator,

The given information is very much informative. However I have got few queries.

1) From ‘Nessental Triftbahn’ if I took cable car then in how much time I shall reach the Bridge.

2) From ‘Nessental Triftbahn’ you said it will be a hike of 90 mins. Whether its a walkable road or it will be a cross country type? and is it full of ups and downs?

3) Can I take one way walking and one way cable car?

4) I will be buying a ‘Swiss Pass’, so will the same be accepted in cable car? If not any discounts for the Swiss pass? and what is the approximate fare for cable car?

5) I will be visiting between 29 May to 02 June 2012. Whether cable car will be open or I will have to hike?

Thanks and Regards
    Atul Bhide

Annika
    7103 posts
    17 November 2011 at 12:59:27 #834477

Hello Atul Bhide. The Triftbahn season started at June 10 this year, and I expect it to be roughly the same next year, so you may miss out on the cable car during your stay. Hiking from the cable car valley to the mountain station adds an extra 2 hours and a 300m ascent to the tour. The hike from the mountain station to the Trift bridge ascends by 400m approximately. Further details can be reviewed at this hiking map. The Swiss Pass allows free traveling up to the valley station; there are no further discounts to the cable car. These and other details are listed at the Swiss Pass page, including a link to a validity map. The Swiss timetable provides a detailed planning for each trip. Select ‘Nessental, Triftbahn’ your destination.

• The thread ‘Trift Bridge’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.