Tickets or pass for trip from Lucern to Mt Pilatus

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 19:50:37 #811075

HI, I’m trying to plan a trip up to Mt Pilatus on May 25th. We’re only going to be in Lucern for 2 days and we really want to do this trip. We would like to go from Lucern, across the lake by boat, up the mountain by cog rail, back down by cable car and then back to Lucern by bus. Has anyone done this recently? Can you recommend it? Do we need to buy a Golden Package Pass . I’m fine doing that if that’s the easiest way to travel. Any help is most appreciated Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 3:06:34 #860097

Hi Sheryl, you can check the different route options here http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere. Since you are only going to be there for two days in Lucerne, I would suggest Mt. Titlis rather than Pilatus as this is much more spectacular and the ride also has different options including longer cable car rides. I liked Mt. Titlis the most.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 8:50:22 #860098

Hi sheryl2017 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can do the route you suggested on your own or as a tour – up to you!
    Both Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis are great options and both fairly simple to get to from Luzern (local German spelling).

Are you planning on buying point to point tickets or will you have a rail pass such as the Swiss Travel Pass?

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 13:37:14 #860099

Hi Lucas, we were planning on buying point to point tickets. We will not be using a Swiss Travel Pass since we’re only travelling roundtrip from Basel to Lucern by train and then doing the route up Mt Pilatus. I didn’t think that the pass would be worth the price but you might know otherwise. Thanks for your quick response.. Sheryl

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 16:12:36 #860100

Hi Sheryl,

Yes you are right, for that itinerary, point to point tickets are probably your best bet.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 16:32:32 #860101

Ok. Last question… Is it better to buy point to point tickets or something called the Golden Pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2017 at 6:26:44 #860102

Hi Sheryl,

Are you referring to the Golden round-trip route for Mt. Pilatus? This can be done individually (with point to point tickets) or as a guided tour. It is just the name given to a specific route to get up and down Pilatus. There is also a shorter Silver route.

• The thread ‘Tickets or pass for trip from Lucern to Mt Pilatus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.