Trip from Zermatt to Chamonix w/ stop at Montreux

• Jinjinny
    Participant
    8 posts
    22 April 2017 at 12:08:15 #811502

hi

As I am plan to travel from Zermatt to Chamonix with little stop at Montreux for sightseeing. Is it possible to do it within one day? And what would be the best ways to travel such route? As I and my friends will not drive. Pls kindly advise.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2017 at 12:51:06 #861977

Hi Jinjinny,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Yes, this can be done in one day. There is only one train route from Zermatt to Montreux. If you enter your trip in the timetable you’ll get the details. From Montreux to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc you’ll need to travel via Martigny, again by train. A long detour via Geneva is possible as well but I would not recommend that. The shorter route is very scenic.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass all of this is free of charge (excluding the route via Geneva).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 20:42:25 #861978

This is what I read from your site:

The Swiss Travel Pass is valid in Switzerland only. A few rail and bus routes crossing the border allow free traveling too. Examples are EuroAirport (France) to Basel, Martigny to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc (France), Brig to Domodossola (Italy) and Domodossola to Locarno;

Does this mean the trip from Martigny to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc (France) is free with my Swiss Pass? Or do I need to purchase a ticket at the French border to Chamonix and back?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 3:27:54 #861979

>> Does this mean the trip from Martigny to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc (France) is free with my Swiss Pass? Or do I need to purchase a ticket at the French border to Chamonix and back?

Yes, the trip from Martigny to Chamonix via Le Châtelard-Frontière is free with the Swiss Travel Pass and no additional ticket is required. This train is called the Mont-Blanc Express.

When are you travelling? From 3rd April to 24 June 2017, trains will be replaced by buses between Le Châtelard-Frontière and Chamonix, as they are installing a new rail operation system. It seems from the timetable that the journey time will not be increased though.

Alpenrose

Jinjinny
    Participant
    8 posts
    23 April 2017 at 6:13:51 #861980

Thank you so much for your kind advise . This is really help. From your advise seems that trip via train would be the better choice.However, since we will travel with luggages(5 of us), Is there any lockers for rental that enough for 5 luggages at Montreux train station? And how much would it cost for 1-2 hrs rental?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 6:41:12 #861981

>> Is there any lockers for rental that enough for 5 luggages at Montreux train station? And how much would it cost for 1-2 hrs rental?

Yes, There are 32 small lockers costing CHF 6 (dimensions are 24.8 x 42.0 x 75.0) and 24 large lockers costing CHF 9 (dimensions 44.7 x 61.5 x 88.0).

This and more information about services at Montreux station can be found here

http://www.sbb.ch/content/int ernet/sbb/en/bahnhof-services/bahnhoefe/bah nhof.1300.html

Alpenrose

Jinjinny
    Participant
    8 posts
    23 April 2017 at 6:55:03 #861982

Dear arno,

Thank you so much for your kind advise. 👍

Jinjinny
    Participant
    8 posts
    23 April 2017 at 6:56:53 #861983

Dear Alpenrose,

Thank you again also with the info link provided. 👍

Jinjinny
    Participant
    8 posts
    26 April 2017 at 13:26:50 #861984

dear Arno,

As I try to look for the train or bus info from link provided from Martigny to Chamonix. I still could not find the clear info so I am still not sure how could I get there. And where should I input as destination between Chamonix Mont blanc and Chamonix Aiguille du Midi? Or it can be both? Sorry for many questions as this is my first time to Switzerland Thank you again for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 16:10:36 #861985

Hi Junjinny,

Chamonix, Mont Blanc is the downtown rail station at Chamonix. Is that where you want to arrive? Enter Martigny and Chamonix Mont blanc to get to downtown Chamonix.

Lucas

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 April 2017 at 17:10:23 #861986

Hi Jinjinny,

“Chamonix-Aiguille du Midi” is the valley station of the cable car up to the viewing point Aiguille du Midi. So you should enter this in the timetable if you’re interested in getting up there. If you just want to explore the town itself, then enter “Chamonix-Mont Blanc” as noted by Lucas.

• The thread ‘Trip from Zermatt to Chamonix w/ stop at Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.