Trip in Switzerland and beyond

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2012 at 22:27:42 #805409

Hi ,

I have recently stumbled on your forum. I must say it is very responsive and prompt .

We have planned for a trip in Jul as follows :

Arrive Zurich Jul 1
    Leave for Lausanne on Jul 4
    Leave for Venice on Jul 7

Could you help us in following queries ?

1. Do we take a pass or just go for glacier express ?
    2.If we take Glacier express , then is it worth taking Golden pass train?
    3.What is the train connection from Lausanne to Venice ? is there a connection around 6 hours but a beautiful view ? We could not get anything in rail europe ? The SBB website is in a language we could not understand.

Cheers
    Sirish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 June 2012 at 11:40:14 #836546

Hello Sirish, and welcome to the forum. The SBB timetable is available in English: this page should get you there. It allows you to easily plan your trip from Lausanne to Venice. Other trips can be planned here as well. For example, you can see whether a Glacier Express ride (which is between St. Moritz/Chur and Zermatt) fits your plans. The Golden Pass train seems to fit in anyway, as you can use it to get from Zurich to Lausanne (via Luzern, Interlaken, Zweisimmen and Gstaad).

Your plans don’t seem to be finalized yet, so it’s hard to advise on rail passes. Generally, buying one is much cheaper than using regular tickets. You may want to look into the Swiss Saver Pass or the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass and see whether that appeals to you. These promotion codes may be useful too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2012 at 23:17:55 #836547

Thanks for your reply. Here is our finalised trip :
    Hope this information will help you suggest us on rail passes.
    1. Stay at Zurich Jul 1-4
    See Lucerne,berne, interlaken(jungfrau),mount titlis. please give us more suggestions .
    2. Stay at Lausanne Jul 4-7.
    See Geneva (visit UN) , ,lake constance, and chateau des chilon.

We will take train at 8:20 am to Venice. Do you suggest we take the corridor and central aisle with table ? Or do you suggest we take some other seating arrangements?
    3. Stay at venice Jul 7-11

See Venice. we may decide to fly to florence for a day. Piazza San Marco, flanked by St Mark’s Basilica and the Doge’s Palace and travel by vaporetto (waterbus) along Venice’s canals, passing Rialto Bridge, Bridge of Sighs. Since we have 4 nights , do you suggest we hop to Rome or verona as well ? In that case, am i right that we may have to take a flight rather than train to these places from Venice ?
    Any particular seating arrangements you suggest for train from Venice to Munich ?

4. Come to Munich on Jul 11.
    See Schliersee and tegernsee and europepark. Hofbräuhaus beer hall. The Gothic Church of Our Lady . Do we visit any nearby small towns ?
    Cheers
    Sirish

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 June 2012 at 6:01:13 #836548

Hi sirish! As for the Swiss part of your stay: I think you would benefit most from an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass or a 3 to 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, using free travel days for your first and last day and for one or two other days in between on which you make the longest and most expensive trips, such as the transfer from Zurich to Geneva. It depends on your preferences which pass you like most. Generally, I like the idea of being able to go wherever I want without having to buy (discounted) tickets. If that goes for you as well, the Swiss Pass would be the obvious choice.

Please also take a look at the 3 country Eurail Select Pass for Germany, Switzerland and Italy. If you do plan to do a lot of train traveling in Italy, that may be a good option.

Try to book window seats for your trip to Venice, as to enjoy your views long the way.

• The thread ‘Trip in Switzerland and beyond’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.