Trip report – 5 days Brienz in June

• abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    18 June 2016 at 22:06:43 #809479

Can’t start off without saying Thanks to Arno and the team…. Your prompt suggestions were of great help and made our time spent in Switzerland a great and memorable one. Thanks Again.

Our trip was as follows :

Day 1: By Car

Arrive at Basel at 9:30AM. Took hire car, Travel to Rhine Falls and then to location of Stay – Brienz. Car hire was helpful as we could fit in all the luggage and do one spot on the same day. Rhine Falls is a beautiful place in itself with so much of water falling. Don’t forget to take the small boat trip till the fall below.

We took a 3 day Swiss travel Pass for the coming three days. Our planning to use car was only for the travelling to and from airport. So we used car only for airport travelling and some grocery shopping. It was a wise suggestion from myswissalps team and a good decision of following there advice

Day 2:By Swiss Travel Pass: Original plan was to Travel to Jungfrau. But we changed it to Mt. Titlis because we had a 3 month old kid with us and didn’t wanted to take a chance with her to go to Jungfrau. back to Residence.

Day 3: By Swiss Travel Pass: Travel through Golden Pass from Brienz to Montreux and then visit Castle of Chillon in Montreux. Back to Residence. Alternatively you can get down at any of the villages enroute of golden pass while returning, I can imagine it would be a different experiences

Day 4: By Swiss Travel Pass: Travel to Lucerne and took the golden route to Mount Pilatus..

Day 5: By Car

Travel from Brienz to Bern city en route to the airport and Back to Basel airport by 4 PM.

based on our time Few suggestions from my end to ppl travelling to Switzerland

1.. Location of stay / Base Camp will help you reduce much of headache

2.Plan Properly as per your Interest. Switzerland has so much to offer, so if you don’t plan you may end looking at the same theme again and again. Myswissalps is a great place to get your plans going

3. If you plan a car hire from Basel Airport be sure of the address where to return the car as Tom Tom is confusing as there is no fixed address for the airport.

Available for any help / suggestions I may be worth of giving. Would be glad to help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 June 2016 at 8:40:39 #853255

Hi abhinalways,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and for pointing fellow travelers to your tips on planning and car hire addresses. Glad we could assist you while you were planning this trip. It’s good to know that Brienz turned out to be a suitable base town for your plans. How did you like the village itself by the way? I hope you were lucky enough to have accommodation with a lake view, as that’s truly stunning.

You were certainly right to use the car for the airport transfers and shopping only. It’s a bit of a shame not to use the excellent train services when traveling around. I hope you enjoyed it as much as many other travelers do.

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    22 June 2016 at 10:27:46 #853256

Thanks Annika…

One more thing which I noticed and was different from the place I stay is sometimes in trains like enroute to engelberg they announce that Train announcement, “next station on request” probably it means that train stops on the station only on request. Maybe you can provide some inputs to travellers to be aware of this fact.

I am not sure what Swiss rail means by that announcement so better to check first.

Arno
    15482 posts
    22 June 2016 at 13:07:41 #853257

Hi abhinalways,

You’re right, some trains only stop at very small stations if a passenger presses a button, or if someone at the platform presses a button. It’s explained here: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ howtotravel.

• The thread ‘Trip report – 5 days Brienz in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.