Trip report Sept 2018, day 4-Jungfraujoch

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    2 February 2019 at 6:49:08 #819731

The next day dawned clear and sunny so I thought this would be a good day for the Jungfraujoch. The webcam showed perfect weather up there so we got ready quickly and were at the station by around 9am. I paid out a fortune for the tickets, even with the 25% discount, and we were off.

The train from Kleine Scheidegg was pretty crowded but we got seats okay. On the way up I felt the first signs of altitude sickness begin. I started to feel as if I couldn’t breathe properly which made me anxious. After alighting from the train we immediately took the lift up to the viewing platform where we took many photos of the amazing views.

At one stage I couldn’t find G so went down some stairs to look for him. Coming back up the stairs I started to feel really breathless and faint and had to quickly find a seat. I googled “altitude sickness” on my phone and read that I shouldn’t walk up stairs and should drink some water and eat some carbohydrate. I did that and felt much better.

G went for a walk on the glacier while I rested in a deck chair overlooking it. We walked around the rest of the area up there and then felt we’d seen enough and got the next train down to KS. It wasn’t nearly as crowded as the earlier train as I think most people probably stayed up there longer than we did.

G was really thrilled with our trip to the Top of Europe while I was glad to have seen what I’d read about, but do think it’s overly expensive. The view of the Aletsch Glacier is stunning, however, and just knowing that we were 3572 metres above sea level was amazing as I’ve never been up that high before. I probably would have enjoyed it more without altitude sickness.

Day 5: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-september-2018-day-5-the-schilthorn

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 February 2019 at 6:10:15 #903341

Too bad you were affected by the altitude. I’m enjoying your no-nonsense reporting – thanks for sharing. Keep ’em coming. Did you get any photos at the “Top of Europe”?

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 February 2019 at 6:19:12 #903342

Yes, I got lots of photos and I’ve tried to post them but I can’t. I get a message saying they have to be under 1 mb but somehow I was able to post previous photos. They’re just ones I take with my iPhone so I have no idea how many mbs they are.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 February 2019 at 6:37:15 #903343

Yes, the Forum has a limit on attachments of 1Mb. Have a look at itstillworks.com/reduc e-picture-size-before-sending-iphone-37739.html for options for reducing file size. If you have a Mac you can export photos from your photo library and create a less high resolution version in the process.

Above is just one option. Try googling resizing iPhone Photos.

Another option it to put your photos into something like Flickr and then on your Forum post include the link to an album (or individual photos).

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 February 2019 at 7:08:07 #903344

OK, thanks, I’ll see what I can do. I don’t have a computer, just a phone and iPad. On Day 5 I was able to attach one photo but not the three I wanted to attach.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 February 2019 at 7:32:23 #903345

OK Judy, no computer means the best bet is to email the photos to yourself. In the mailing process you get the option to reduce the size of the photos. Once you have the smaller version you can post it to the forum. Convoluted I know.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 February 2019 at 7:43:58 #903346

I’ve tried that but when it says to add the photos at the bottom of the post there’s no way to access email. Or do I just post them in the main body of the post somehow? I’m not very technically capable, as you can see.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 February 2019 at 8:29:48 #903347

If you email a smaller version to yourself then you need to save the smaller attachment to your Photos on your iPhone/iPad than attach that.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 February 2019 at 8:45:17 #903348

Thanks, but when I click on the smaller version I emailed to myself there’s no option to save it to anything. How do I do that?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 February 2019 at 10:21:00 #903349

If you hold you finger on the image in the email you should see an option to “save image”. The will put the image in Photos. You can then choose it when adding an attachment to the forum.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 February 2019 at 10:33:02 #903350

I tried that but “save image” doesn’t appear. Never mind, the last couple of posts I’ve managed to attach a few full-size photos.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 February 2019 at 11:37:31 #903351

Actually, I finally found the save image function. Thanks for all your help.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    3 February 2019 at 11:38:42 #903352

Aletsch Glacier

Amitrp
    Participant
    33 posts
    4 February 2019 at 10:14:45 #903353

I am reading your reports and they are pretty impressive. They are also helpful to first time travellers like us. Thanks. Please upload more photos.

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    8 February 2019 at 8:34:01 #903354

Glad you persevered, Judy, love reading trip reports and seeing the photos 😀

• The thread ‘Trip report Sept 2018, day 4-Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.