4-day trip to Bernese Oberland, which rail pass?

4-day trip to Bernese Oberland, which rail pass?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
bolena75
bolena75
5 posts
Feb 15, 2016 - 8:42 PM

Hi,

I am planning to be in Switzerland this coming April, from the 19th to the 22nd. We are coming from Milan to Bern, then would like to visit Thun, Interlaken, Wengen, Murren and Fribourg, then leave to Colmar in France.

What do you recommend? We are 2 adults and 2 children (ages 4 and 7). Should we get a pass or buy point to point tickets?

Thank you and kind regards,

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Feb 16, 2016 - 6:01 AM

Hi bolena75,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! So are you staying in Bern for all 4 days? Will you be using cable cars and boats too? If so, point to point tickets are too expensive. One of the below passes will be better:

Please see this page to get help making a choice. By the way, Interlaken is not really a place for sightseeing. I'd rather focus on the mountains and the city of Bern.

bolena75
bolena75
5 posts
Feb 16, 2016 - 2:35 PM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno,

Thank you for the information about Interlaken! I haven't decided yet wether we will stay in Bern all 4 days or we'll be moving around...

Do you know if children travel for free? (Mine are 4 and 7)

And should I get a pass for both adults or just one, and pay point to point for the other?

Last, If I buy tickets far in advance, will I get cheaper tickets (like supersavers) or it makes no difference?

Thank you so much!

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Feb 17, 2016 - 6:56 AM

Hi bolena75,

Bern has a wonderful old town center, excellent train connections and several museums. It's not in the mountains though. So it depends on our expectations whether it's the right choice for you.

Please see the pages I linked to for your question about children's fares. You need a pass for each adult. Click "Price" for the purchase options.

Tickets to/from Italy and France can be cheaper if purchased well in advance (from 3 months ahead of time). Please see myswissalps.com/ traintickets/ italy/price and myswissalps.com/ traintickets/ france/price.

If you choose pass #1 or #2 you won't need many tickets within Switzerland. The only discount you could get is a Supersaver ticket, but these are not flexible so hardly suitable for regular, mostly weather dependable, day trips. You'd better look into the passes.

bolena75
bolena75
5 posts
Feb 17, 2016 - 2:01 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you Arno!

We've decided to base out of Bern.

Last question!

Can I hop on and off from the train if I buy a Bern-Lauterbrunnen train ticket? I was hoping to get off at Thun and Spiez.

Thank you!

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Feb 17, 2016 - 2:46 PM

Yes, you can as long as you complete the entire trip within one day.

Have fun!

Last modified on Feb 17, 2016 - 2:47 PM by Arno

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016