Trip to Interlaken and München from Lucerne

• Strackfamily
    Participant
    14 posts
    21 January 2023 at 20:31:33 #828931

We are planning a couple day visit to Switzerland (staying in Luzern) before heading off to a tour in Germany/Austria. Would really appreciate feedback on a couple of questions:

1) We arrive in Zurich @ 10:30am on a Friday and will travel to Luzern to drop off our luggage at the hotel. Our Saturday is spent visiting the Luzern area with a local friend. For Friday I was thinking of taking the train to Interlaken and the up to Harder Kulm on the day we arrive. Would that fill the day or are there recommendations on something to do in Interlaken?

2) We plan on getting a Half-Fare card for all of the train travel and the Pilatus/boat tour activities on Saturday. Can I use this half-fare card on my Sunday train ticket from Zurich to Munchen?

Danke!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2023 at 22:36:05 #949950

There won’t be much time to do anything except Harder Kulm. You could include a boat trip on the Brienzersee and/or go to the Aareschlucht gorge near Meiringen

Swiss half fare card gives half fare within Switzerland. The limit of Swss territory is the border station is St Margrethen

Strackfamily
    Participant
    14 posts
    21 January 2023 at 22:38:03 #949951

Thank you!!

any thoughts on question 2?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2023 at 0:12:00 #949952

answered

Strackfamily
    Participant
    14 posts
    22 January 2023 at 1:57:25 #949953

Thank you so much.

Yolanda
    2363 posts
    22 January 2023 at 19:56:32 #949954

Hi Strackfamily,

Welcome to MySwissAlps, wonderful to hear you are visiting Switzerland!
    I am unsure of your interests but other activities in the Interlaken area can be found here : https://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/activities

As per 1960’s reply, after arriving in Lucerne and travelling to Harder Kulm, that would probably be enough for a day trip.

Are you planning on returning to Switzerland after your Germany trip? If so, more information on rail passes and how to choose can be found here: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses and https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Travelling from Zurich to München on a Swiss Half Card would only allow a discounted fare within Switzerland. In your case, you would travel from Zurich to St. Margrethen wit a 50% discount, and from St. Margrethen to München with a full-fare ticket. More information can be found here :

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Best wishes,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Trip to Interlaken and München from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.