Buy rail pass just for Jungfraujoch trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 8:55:58 #813029

Hi,

I will be travelling to Switzerland from 06 oct to 08 oct. but i only have 07 oct free for Jungfraujoch (afternoon session). Morning will attempt to try parasailing at Grindelwald first.

As I will be driving, so Im planning to park my car at Grindelwald. Then take a train from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch (CHF190) “Top of Europe” via Kleine Scheidegg.

This is the only train that i think I will take. Is it still advisable to purchase Rail pass or Swiss half fare pass?

Should I purchase it in advance? Or i could purchase it on the day itself at Grindelwald?

Please advice me.

Many thanks

Adrian

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 11:18:28 #868720

Hi Adrainwee and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No, if this is the only trip you are making by bus, train, cable car boat etc. then I wouldn’t buy any rail passes.

When you are in Grindelwald, check the weather for the tip of Jungfraujoch and only go if it looks nice and clear at the top!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 12:06:16 #868721

Thanks Lucas.

So I dont buy the grindelwald to Jungfraujoch ticket now? Will there be a chance i could not get tickets on that day itself?

thanks

Adrian

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 16:06:18 #868722

No, I would wait until the day of or day before you want to go to buy tickets to Jungfraujoch. There should be no issue in October to get up on the day you want.

Sometimes there are delays getting up in July and August due to tourist numbers and reservations.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 4:02:29 #868723

Thank you Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 3:36:51 #868724

From where do we buy passes for Jungfr excursion in interlaken? Also about titlis?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 6:21:07 #868725

Hi Anushrim,

You can buy your Jungfraujoch tickets online here and Mt. Titlis tickets here.

If you want to buy them in person you can do so at Interlaken train station and Luzern train station.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 22:20:48 #868726

Thanks

on th eJungfr website they have written Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen o. Grindelwald cost CHF 105.40 does that mean it includes Train from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 4:58:40 #868727

>> on th eJungfr website they have written Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen o. Grindelwald cost CHF 105.40 does that mean it includes Train from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch

Yes. The fare of CHF 105.40 is a single fare from Interlaken Ost to the Jungfraujoch via either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen.

Option 1: Interlaken Ost – Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch.

Option 2: Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch

You go through Eigergletscher between Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch, regardless of which route you take.

Please note that CHF 105.40 is only a single fare. The return fare between Interlaken Ost and the Jungfraujoch is CHF 210.80.

By the way, it is very confusing having your questions mixed in with those from Adrian 🙂 If you have any more, would you be kind enough to start a new topic? Thanks!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 22:32:15 #868728

I am sorry for that ..! will do if I have more.. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 11:09:18 #868729

Hi,

Saw the post and need some help. I will be from Wilderswill and planning to go to Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen/ Kleine Scheidegg.

1) When i check SBB website it shows the ticket (one way) is CHF51.60. Is this the price after Swiss Travel Pass. But at the website I did not indicate with Swiss Travel pass.

2) Once at Jungfraujoch, is there other admission fee that I need to pay?

3) You have mentioned to purchase the ticket on the day that we want to travel up to Jungfraujoch. Can the ticket be purchase at any station or only at main stations Eg Interlaken, Luzern?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Jana

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 14:34:28 #868730

Hi Jana and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. The SBB timetable (I think that is what you used?) will give you the cheapest fare by default for everything – which is for holders of the Swiss Half Fare Card. It won’t give you an option to put in the Swiss Travel Card (too much calculation usually). haha.

You can find the price list for Jungfraujoch here (it is a pdf file). The train as far as Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You then get 25% off the ticket from one of those towns on to Jungfraujoch (approximately 142.50 round trip with discount).

2. No.
    3. Any station in the Jungfrau region where you are should be fine.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 2:23:53 #868731

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your advice. Yes i used SBB timetable website to check the train route and price.

Noted on the price of CHF142.50 after discount. Glad to know we can buy it from Wilderswil station.

I am now considering should I go up to Jungfraujoch or just Kleine Scheidegg will do since I will be going to Schilthorn. Note that the ticket to Jungfraujoch quite expensive and I am not into hiking.

Whats your advice?

Rgds

Jana

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 6:47:41 #868732

I think going up to Jungfraujoch is worth the cost and yes it is quite expensive. It is pretty cool to be up there (no hiking required!) and there is more to see and do there than lower down at Kleine Scheidegg.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 7:38:22 #868733

Hi Lucas,

Thank you. Will get your advice to go up Jungfraujoch. Glad to know that it will not require hiking :).

once again.thx Lucas for your help!

Rgds

Jana

• The thread ‘Buy rail pass just for Jungfraujoch trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.