Trip to Männlichen in December – need more details

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2015 at 13:30:03 #808159

Hello,

I would like to have some information regarding trip to Männlichen. we are planning to visit switzerland mid of december(18/12) from France. its just a 2 days trip with 4 adults (1 young couple+ 1 elderly couple)+ 1 kid of 2 1/2 yrs.

I found that Männlichen can be reached either from Grindelwald by Gondola cabelway or from Wengen by aerial cableway and also the scenic view from Männlichen is amazing.I am planning to make onward trip from Grindelwald to Männlichen and the return trip from Männlichen to wengen.

As this is the first time we visit these mountainous region, could you please clarify my questions below?

1. Whats is the difference between gondola cableway and aerial cableway?. As we are visiting in peak December (with my parents and my kid), I believe that both are closed cableway.
    2. Is it advisable to take a trip to Männlichen with my 2 ½ yrs old kid (with an altitude of 2300 m)?
    3. As im planning to start from grindelwald and end at wengen, will there be any transport from wengen to grindelwald (back to the starting point)?
    4. How will be the climatic conditions during mid-December?
    5. Is it possible to book tickets few days in advance? what are the means to book the tickets?
    6. Is there any time limit for the tickets?

Im not sure whether these questions were asked in previous threads. Pls excuse for the repetitive of my questions. For information, guess I can’t take advantage of swiss pass as we would be travelling by car.

Awaiting for your reply. Thanks in advance

Jeena

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    2 December 2015 at 6:33:38 #847116

Hi Jeena,

Thanks for joining the discussions!

1. The gondolas are small and seat 4-6 people, I don’t remember exactly. The cable car is larger.
    2. For healthy children, there should be no issues below 2500 m.
    3. Absolutely. You’ll take trains back to Grindelwald, either via Zweilütschen, or the more scenic route via Klein Scheidegg (be sure to spend a little time there as well). All trains are in the timetable. Will you stay in Grindelwald?
    4. It will be cold, with snow in the mountains. Snow in the valleys is not guaranteed. Here's some information as well.
    5. You don’t need to book in advance. Just buy tickets and hop on the gondola. If you get Swiss Half Fare Cards for the adults you will get a 50% discount. The child travels for free.
    6. See 5 please.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2015 at 11:51:38 #847117

Hello Arno,

Thanks alot for your reply.As the accomodationsin Grindelwald is very costly, we have plans of staying in BERN as it is 1 nhalf hrs drive to grindelwald. And we could do some siteseeing at BERN too :)Or couldyou please suggest an accommodation in and around Grindelwald (not more than200€ per night) for 4 adults and 1 kid ?

Thank youJeena

Annika
    7115 posts
    8 December 2015 at 14:11:35 #847118

Hi Jeena,

Can you post that question in the accommodation forum please? Please see here for instructions. Thanks!

• The thread ‘Trip to Männlichen in December – need more details’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.